Wake up

ALISHA

Darkness. Complete darkness from where I couldn’t find an escape. It was cold, dark, scary. Where in the world was I? Was I dead? How did I die? Or was I in coma? Was it a dream or reality?

I didn’t know what was going on. I didn’t know where I was. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know how to do anything. I didn’t know why I was here. All I did know was that I needed to get out of here.

The darkness was falling on me, smothering me. It was too calm, too quiet for me to stay calm and think. Not a hint of the world I knew. It was maddening, someone please help me out!

I tried to move, push across the vast nothingness. Nothing. Did I move at all from where I was earlier?

I tried again, with more energy, more focus on my goal to escape this living nightmare. It had to end. I couldn’t stay here forever, I’d go insane. I had a life I wanted to live!

Something. I felt something far far away from where I was. Where was I anyway? No! Focus! I scolded myself. I tried again and felt it again. I didn’t know what it was. A touch, a voice, a stare. But whatever it was, it felt welcoming. Better than the place I was at now. I had to reach the source of what I felt. I had to.

I tried, and tried and tried. I moved, each time feeling that thing getting closer to me. It wasn’t a sense I realized. It wasn’t any noise or smell or touch. It was something I didn’t recognize.

Was I going to heaven? Or hell? I didn’t believe in such things. There was no life after death. Or was there? Suddenly I didn’t believe in my beliefs all that much.

Light. Extreme light exploded from all around and I shut down against it. Was it heavenly light? If it was, could someone dim it down?

“Please, once again. Please.” A voice said from far away and I pushed again. Just this once, and I’d be in a place better than darkness.

“Slowly.” Said another distinct voice from the first one. There were two Gods? And why did the first God sound like someone I knew? I knew God all my life? Whoa, and I always said I was agnostic. In that case, sorry God.

I was back in my body. I could feel…what did I feel? Heavy. Yeah, that’s what I felt. In the darkness, I didn’t feel me. Now I did. I felt me! It hardly made sense, but it was the truth.

“Open your eyes, slowly.” Said the second voice. Where were my eyes? I couldn’t find my eyes. I tried to gain control back. No, I couldn’t find my eyes!

“Stop panicking. Calm down, breathe.” The voice said in a trained manner. God was used to spirits like me? No, it wasn’t heaven. There were supposed to be angels and stuff here. Peace. I didn’t feel peace. All I felt was heaviness and now anxiousness.

Yet, I did what the voice said. Breath, I could do that. Out of the blue I felt my body, distinctly. I felt me better this time. I opened what I thought were my eyes, scared of the light again. Scared of what I would see. Fire of hell? Glow of Heaven?

White. White of what? White was all I saw.

“Alisha?” a face appeared and tried to move away. No, I wanted to yell at him, Get away from me! But I couldn’t find a voice. Oh Gosh, what was wrong with me? The figure in white held my hands, and I tried to pull away. I couldn’t even when I applied all the energy I had.

“Calm down, I won’t harm you. Nurse! Call her brother inside again!” he was saying as I tried to get away from him. I knew he’d try and harm me. He wanted to kill me. I just knew he was dangerous. I wanted to live, I didn’t want to die. Please, don’t kill me, I wanted to beg for mercy. Instead all that came out was an inaudible whimper.