Chapter 13: Nando's and the Man

Tara's POV

For the rest of spring break, I stayed inside. I went out for dinner with my parents, but I didn't say a word to my father. Mum tried to act like nothing was wrong, but I knew she was having a hard time with this.

"So, Tara, I saw that you opened the note from the boys," Mum says, twirling her fork. I nod my head and am about to respond when Dad interrupts me.

"Ha! Those dumb ass boys must've been spotted and now they'll give you anything to keep you quiet," Dad says, laughing. I glare at him, but I don't respond.

Dinner ends, and I walk back to my car. I get in without saying anything and drive out the parking lot. I drive down the road and keep going. I'm not sure where I'm going, but I'm definitely not going home tonight. I swear! He's never trusted me, and it's obvious he's not going to start any time soon, I think. I turn left and pull my car into a random parking lot. I admit, I may like Niall. But it's impossible for him to like me back. I'm just a boring, Irish girl living in boring Dublin going to a boring university, I think as I take in a shaky breath. He should be dating movie stars or models, I think calmly.

I wipe the tears away from my eyes, and I look around for a street name. I don't see one, so I get out. I look around the empty lot. My eyes drift to the building in front of me.

"Nando's?" I say, not sure where I was. I shrug and grab my purse and phone. I head to the door and look through the glass door. The room is dark, and it looks like no one is inside. I try the door, and, surprisingly, it's open. I walk in and see it's a diner.

"Um, hello? Is anyone here?" I say loudly. I spin around as I hear someone grunt. I slowly back towards the door.

"Diner's closed," the man says, his voice scratchy.

"T-t-that's okay," I say. I find the door and am about to push it open when a man grabs my wrist. I scream, but it's quickly silenced by a gag.

TEN MINUTES LATER

I look around the room the two men took me to. It's really dim, but I can tell it's a cellar. I look behind me and find the two men who kidnapped me.

"What do you want?" I ask. The first man, the one who grabbed my wrist, laughs. The other guy comes in front of me.

"You're a smart girl. I know this because I saw that you have a Uni ID card. So, I'll let you scotch-free if you help us," the first man says from behind me. I see that the second man has black choppy hair and a nice, shaved face. I look at him warily.

"George, stop trying to scare her!" the man in front of me says, smiling.

"Fine," George says, "Ok, look. All we want is some help finding work in America." I laugh at this.

"So, you guys kidnapped me just to ask for help to find a job?" I say, "Are you crazy?" The man in front of me looks at George.

"Ok, I didn't want to kidnap you, but Hunter said you wouldn't help us otherwise," George says. I scrunch my eyebrows, trying to process everything.

"Why wouldn't I help you? I don't have any reason to hate you guys. Well, I mean, now I do," I say.

"Because...you've already met me," Hunter says. He steps closer, and I can see the scars on his face. I gasp and start wiggling in my chair. My heart starts to pound in my chest.

"If I help you, what will happen to me?" I ask.

"Nothing. We'll let you go without any bruises or cuts," Hunter says, looking down at me.

"What about r-" I start, but I stop when I see Hunter make a face. "Okay. Fine, but you have to untie me, now."

TWO DAYS LATER --- Tara and Josie's Dorm Room

I help George and Hunter look for jobs in America. They have a lot of things on their résumé, they just don't know what to do with it.

"Here's a good one. It's in California. You would be a risk manager. It has good pay, but it says you have to do an interview with the person stepping down," I say, staring at my computer screen. Hunter looks over my shoulder and nods. He writes the information down.

"Hey, George. Here's one for you. It says you would be working in Hilton San Diego. It looks like a really nice hotel. You would be a chief," I say, glancing at George. His eyes light up, and he scribbles down the information. I laugh at his excitement. It's so funny how he acts like a kid when it comes to cooking.

"Okay! I love it. Now," George says, looking at his watch, "I have to go make dinner for my grandma's birthday. So, see ya, guys. Thanks Tar!"

"No problem," I say, waving at him. He smiles and walks out the door.

Hunter looks at me, making me feel really uncomfortable. I start to squirm under his stare. He leans in, his warm breath tickling my neck.

"Has anyone ever told you how pretty you are?" Hunter asks. I blush and focus on my computer screen. "No, I'm serious. You're a very pretty girl. Do you have a boyfriend?" My cheeks flare up, and I shake my head.

"N-n-no," I say softly. Hunter lets out a laugh.

"Good. Then I'll pick you up at seven tonight," Hunter says, getting up and walking to the door.

I close my computer and get up to get dressed.