Chapter 17: What the Hell!

Tara 's POV

I come home to find Niall at my wardrobe, the doors open.

"What're you doing?" I ask. He looks over at me, his mouth falling slightly open. My mind starts to think of reasons as to why he's staring at me. Oh yeah, I'm wet, fat, and ugly, I think sadly. Niall keeps looking at me.

"Wow," Niall says. I blush a little but turn to face Josie. "You look amazing. Even if you are wet."

"Ha. Yeah, okay. So, why are at my wardrobe?" I say, not believing anything he says. I mean, he's an international pop star! I'm just boring old me going to college.

"I'm, um, just closing your wardrobe. It was open, and I thought you would want it closed," Niall says, closing the door and looking down. I watch him. Sure, I think, probably 'cause you were going through my things.

I walk over to Josie and see that she has tear stains on her face. Ohmygosh! I think, my mind frantically thinking of what happened as I was gone.

"I swear it's not what it looks like!" Niall says.

"What the hell did you do!?" I screech. He takes a step back and holds his hands in front of him to make sure I know he isn't going to fight me. I growl at him, and he shrinks back.

"I-I-I swear! W-w-we didn't do anything!" Niall stutters. I look at him and can tell he's innocent. But even with that in mind, I still can't let him off the hook. The very thought of him hurting Josie makes me mad. It makes me want to strangle the other boys and have him watch it all.

"Then please explain why Josie has tear stains all over her face?" I scream, crossing my arms at the end. I stand there, waiting for his answer. He just looks at me absolutely gobsmacked. I smile at this, but keep my straight face.

"Tara, I came here to see if you wanted to hang out, but you weren't here. Josie tried to tell me where you were, but her phone went off, and she disappeared into the bathroom. She came out, crying and totally crushed. I don't know why. But I made sure she was fine, and I told her I wasn't going to leave until you got back. I swear! That's all that happened," Niall says. He stares at me, probably waiting to be attacked or yelled at. I look back at him, trying to decide if it was gentleman-like of him to wait for me to get home before he left, or if he stayed so he could either A) go through our things B) rape Josie or C) try to get one of us wasted and then have sex with us. I shivered as each thought passed by.

"I would never hurt her. Or any girl." Niall says softly, slowly lowering his hands. He places his hands in his pockets and looks down. I sigh and walk to my desk. I start taking my jewelry off.

"What made you want to come over?" I ask, fiddling with the necklace around my neck. Why won't this stupid things unhook? I think angrily. I let out a soft grunt and start pulling the necklace. I almost break the chain when Niall walks over and places his hands over mine. I freeze, and he gently pushes my hands away. My hands fall down, and he takes a deep breath.

"The boys wanted me to go out since I haven't really been anywhere lately," Niall says, finally unclasping the necklace. Chills go down my neck as his hands graze against my skin. I turn around to face him. He is inches away from me. My heart beat starts to quicken, and suddenly I'm lost in his beautiful blue eyes. I realize I'm staring and look down. Stupid Tara. Why can't you be a normal girl? I think, mentally kicking myself.

"Um," I say, backing away a little, "why haven't you been out much?"

Niall's POV

"Um," Tara says, taking a step back, "why haven't you been out much?"

My heart starts beating a million times faster. Should I tell her that I feel horrible about what happened at her house? I think.

"Uh, just haven't been feeling like myself lately," I say, rubbing the back of my neck nervously. Tara looks up at me with a questioning expression. I let out a sigh and glance at Josie.

"I've, uh, actually been having a bit of trouble," I say, "with girls."

I feel myself blush, and I sneak a peak at Tara. She looks like she's really confused.

"What?" Tara ask, "How is that even possible? I mean, your Niall freakin Horan! How can you be having problems with girls?" I let out a little laugh at this. Wow, she thinks that just 'cause I'm big and famous I don't have girl problems. Wow, I think. I smile down at her and see that she is shaking her head.

"You know, just because I'm famous, that doesn't mean I don't have problems," I say jokingly. "Especially girl problems."

Tara's face goes to embarrassment.

"I didn't mean it that way," Tara says softly. I chuckle and look at my shoes. I see Tara's feet move, and I look up. She slips past me and walks into the bathroom.

She comes back out in Uni sweatpants and a blue tank top. I watch as she climbs up the ladder into her bed. She pats the spot next to her. I reluctantly climb up the ladder. I hear the bed creak a little.

"Is this thing safe?" I ask, "'Cause I have a big show coming up soon." Tara laughs and shrugs her shoulders. I let out a sigh and pull myself all the way up. I sit down next to her, our legs dangling off the side of the railing.

"So, tell me," Tara says sweetly. I glance at her. I know I can trust her with anything, but this is about her. How am I going to tell her that I'm confused and don't know how I feel about her. I mean, I, obviously, like her. But do I like her? I sigh and run my hands through my messy hair.

"Um, well..." I start, "Basically, there's this girl I met. I ran into her a while after I met her, and we hung out. At the time, I thought she was just gonna be a friend. But, now, I think I may like her more than that."

Tara's head nods slightly.

"Why are confused about how you feel?" Tara asks. I laugh.

"I mean, she's a beautiful girl. Just absolutely gorgeous, but I don't think she knows it. I've met so many girls who act like they don't know they're beautiful just for attention. But yo-, um, she really doesn't know it. And when I try telling her that she is, she doesn't believe me and tries to change the subject."

Again, Tara's head bounces up and down. Her curls moving with the motion. I smile at her, but she doesn't seem to notice. I look down at her fingers playing with her hem.

"You should tell her. I mean, I'm sure she would love hearing it from an international pop star. If she doesn't take the compliment, and tries to avoid that topic, you should force her to listen. But don't make it seem, like, rude or anything; just do it slowly and real. Girls hate it when guys try to force the girl into something, especially when it comes to beauty or attitude," Tara says, looking over at me.

I watch her sky blue eyes jump around as she looks at me. I can tell she's fidgeting because she thinks it's a bad idea to be giving me advice. I hate it when girls act like that around me, I think. I mean, I'm just a regular lad doing an irregular job. That doesn't mean you have to worry about offending me any more than you do to regular people.

"Yeah. I agree completely," I say. I open my mouth to tell her how beautiful she is, when Josie stands up. We both flick our attention over to her. Her hands rubbing her eyes.

"What the hell happened?" Josie asks. She looks up at us, and her face lights up.

I move toward the ladder and jump down. I grab my jacket and head to the door. Right before I leave, though, I poke my head around.

"Thanks, Tara. I'm definitely going to be thinking about what you said," I say, smiling at her. She gives me a small wave and looks down. I wave to Josie and turn to go.