Chapter 35: My Girlfriend

ONE WEEK LATER

Tara's POV

I walk down the hallway to the sound room. I can't believe this is my first concert I actually get to help with. Like, before I just watched and learned the controls and such, but this time, I actually get to work things. I get to make the lights brighter or darker, on the boys or not, on or off! I can control the boys' mics too. Which means I can make Harry's mic make him sound like a mouse singing or Louis' mic to make him sound like he has a deep voice. The fun is endless.

Endless until the actual show starts, that is.

I walk through the door, a huge grin on my face. I see Eric at the lights' side of the controls as he helps out Minnie, another intern, with the controls. Since I'm a sound engineer major, I'll mainly be working the sound controls. But I can still help (or mess) with the lightings.

Eric turns around and smiles at me. He's about fifty or so years old with brown hair. He has brown eyes with smile crinkles at the corners of them. He's wearing the crew's standard all black uniform with a bright green and lanyard with a sound crew pass attached. Eric looks me up and down and points to a chair in front of the sound controls.

"Ok, Tara, you get to work the sound controls. I trust you know everything?" Eric asks, coming up to me. I nod my head and sit down. I spin in the chair and look at all the fun buttons. Shut up, Tara, I think. You're such a kid sometimes! I smile to myself and start fixing the knobs to their starting position.

Niall's POV

I walk back and forth the bus. Every now and then I'll look up. I knew today was coming, but I didn't actually believe this was happening. I mean, try wrapping your head around the fact that you have to fake date someone for 3+ months. I don't know how I'm going to do this!

"Ni, sit down," Louis says, patting the seat next to him. I shake my head and continue pacing. The door swings open and I look at Paul. He nods his head sadly. I groan but grab my phone and follow.

Paul drives to the airport only talking every few minutes. I appreciate the silence, but I also wish he'd say something. I finally break the ice.

"So, what exactly is happening?" I ask, swallowing a chunk of air.

"Liv is arriving at the airport in about forty-five minutes. Simon 'leaked' to the press that you are going to be here to pick up your girlfriend. So, with that being said, you have to look excited and happy to be seeing Liv. She's your girlfriend now. And, remember, you can't tell anyone about this. It has to be as real as possible. Got it?" Paul says. He looks in the rear view mirror and gives a sad smile.

"I still don't understand why I can't tell Tara," I mumble mainly to myself. I guess Paul had heard, too, because he looks at me again with a sympathy etched onto his face.

"You really like her, don't you?"

"Yes. I mean, no. I mean, I don't really know. I do know that I like her enough to try a date with her," I say, confusing myself. "But I can't do that now since I have to date Liv."

"Don't worry, Niall. These three months will fly by!" Paul says, trying to cheer my up. I shake my head and close my eyes.

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

Paul wakes me up by shaking my body rapidly. I guess I had fallen asleep on the way there. I blink my eyes a few times and stretch. I look out my window and groan loudly. We're at the airport. The airport that is holding my "girlfriend".

I grumble some curse words, but I get out and walk towards the door. Paul nudges me and smiles, reminding me I have to look happy for all of this. I roll my eyes but put on a huge fake smile. I've basically mastered the art of faking a smile or laugh. The press will never know.