Chapter 23: The Job Offer

Tara's POV

I walk down the street, my mind running over every scenario that could happen right now. I mean, every time we start to talk, we are interrupted. I turn around and see Niall staring at me. I blush and look down.

"Why do you always do that?" Niall asks. He holds out the slushy he insisted on buying me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, playing dumb. I know exactly what he means, but I don't want to admit that I'm constantly feeling ugly around him. I take the slushy and look down.

"You always turn away when I look at you," Niall says like it's obvious. I shrug, hoping he'll drop it. Luckily, he does. I let out a small sigh and take a sip of the blueberry slushy. Mm, my favorite, I think, I wonder how he knew.

"How'd you know to get blueberry?" I ask, though, now I realize he probably guessed.

"You seem like a blueberry kind of girl," Niall says, seeming to be proud that he had guessed correctly. "Actually, that's a cute nickname." I roll my eyes.

"Blueberry is definitely not a cute nickname," I say. I turn the corner, walking over to a park. Niall follows me. He sits down in a swing. I laugh a little and sit down in the one next to him.

We don't say anything, but we don't have to. I feel so comfortable around him that the silence is perfect. I swing a little and start humming. I look over at Niall and see that he's staring at me. I turn away as I realize that I probably sound awful. I mean, if anyone ever heard me, they would quickly agree.

"So," I say slowly. "What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Oh!" Niall says, "Um, one of the people who do the sound and lights during our shows is quitting to attend to a new child. Simon wants to hire a new person, but I told him I knew someone who would love to do it." He looks at me, nervously kicking at the ground. I feel my mouth drop open. Did Niall Horan seriously just ask me to work for One Direction? I think.

"I'm, um," I say, my mind going blank," Um, yeah! That'd be awesome!" Niall smiles and nods his head.

"Good."

"But, um, instead of money could I just do it for internship hours? I need 1,500 hours to qualify for the class I'm hoping to get in," I explain. I glance at Niall. He's got a thoughtful expression on.

"I'm sure that can be arranged," Niall says, smiling. I smile back at him. I push off the ground and start swinging my legs. I move higher and higher until I'm high enough to see over the playground castle in front of us. By now, Niall has caught up with me and is laughing. I feel my heart beat faster when I hear him laugh. It's just so relaxing and beautiful. Stop that! You have a boyfriend who loves you! I think, scowling myself.

"I bet I can jump farther than you!" I scream. Niall laughs.

"You're on!" He yells at me.

We even up our swings and start counting.

"One...two...THREE!" We scream in unison. We jump off the swing and land on the ground. I land on my feet easily, but I see Niall on the ground holding his knee.

"Ouch!" Niall yells. I dash over to him and roll him over so he faces me.

"Niall! Are you okay!?" I scream, fear creeping in my voice.

"I...I...," Niall says, gritting his teeth,"I...think I just scared the shit out of you!" Niall jumps up happily. I fall back, mad that I fell for such a dumb trick. I sit down and pull my knees up to my chest. I hide my head behind my knees and sniffle. I hear Niall stop his cheering and sit next to me.

"Hey, Blueberry. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-" Niall starts. I interrupt him by tackling him to the ground. Niall falls back, clutching his chest. "What the hell?"

"That's what you get for scaring me so badly!" I say, smiling. I get up off him and tap his nose. "I take revenge very seriously, Nialler."

Niall just stares at me, his eyes widening as he takes it all in. His expression changes from scared to mad to confused to humor. I laugh as I watch this. Niall shakes his head and picks up my backpack. I reach for it, but he slings it over his shoulder and grabs my hand. He pulls me over to the sidewalk.

I follow, my hand still in his. It feels nice. The way our hands mold together; the way they fit perfectly against each other. I love it, and I know I shouldn't.

A/N:

Heylo! Ok, so because this is such a short chapter (ugh! I hate when it's short) I've decided to do a double update. So, if you don't mind staying up a little longer, then you can read my next chapter (also kind of short) to make up for the shortness.

I'm sorry! Don't hate me. Anyway, that's all. If you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me. Love ya!