Chapter 66: Home Is Where the Heart Is

Niall's POV

Everyone piles into the van we rented out. Louis is still staring daggers at me but no one seems to notice that but me. I turn the radio on and smile as I hear Fireproof playing. The song takes me back in time as I remember Tara belting out the lyrics when she didn't know we were home. Instead of hearing the boys and I's voices, all I hear is Tara singing her heart out. Nothing makes me happier than thinking of her.

"What're you thinking so hard about?" Mum asks, glancing over at me from the driver's seat. I turn my head to her and just shrug my shoulders. "Niall James Horan, who's the girl that is making my baby so quiet?"

I laugh at her reaction. And her response. I'm never more amazed of my mother than when she demands me to tell her exactly what is bugging me whilst she hasn't got a clue what it's about!

I sigh and look down at my lap.

"Later, Mum," I say. Mum glances at me and nods her head slowly.

"Okay, dearie."

TWENTY MINUTES LATER --- Horan Family's House

I grab my bag from the trunk along with all the other boys. Liam stops me and looks me dead in the eye.

"Tell your mum about Tara. 'Kay?" Liam says softly. I nod my head knowing it's the best thing to do.

Mum unlocks the house and we follow her inside. I make my way to my room as the boys go to Greg's room and the extra bedroom. I drop my bag and go down to the kitchen to get some food. Nothing sounds better than some crisps and a can of orange pop.

I gather my goodies and take a seat on the couch. The telly's remote is across the room but Mum comes bustling in with four grocery bags in her arms. Instinctively, I stand up and go to the car to get the rest. I see the boys are already picking up bags and bringing them in. Great, I think, my friends are better helpers to my own mum than I am!

"Hey! The actual Horan son is here to help his mummy!" Harry says, handing me three bags whilst he takes another three in his arms. I roll my eyes and walk to the front door with Harry and Zayn. We enter the house, and, immediately, we are bombarded with amazing smells. How Mum can make the house smell like cookies and brownies within five minutes will never cease to amaze me. Maybe it's a secret female power. Like, only girls can make the house smell like Christmas in five minutes whilst guys can cover the house with mud and dog poop in three seconds. It makes sense!

I set my bags on the counter and walk over to Mum who is mixing a bowl of brownie batter. I dip my finger in and lick it. Mum smacks my bum for stealing a taste but she's laughing the entire time.

"So, these are the cabinets that are giving ya a hard time?" I ask as I gingerly open the cabinet with the glass cups inside. Mum wipes her hands on a towel, turns around, and nods her head.

"Yeah. I have the tools in the garage. You don't have to do it now, but do it before you leave. Okay?"

I nod my head and fill a cup with the pop I had originally grabbed. I bring the crisps in, too, and sit down at the table. I watch Mum mix and pour and break things with curiosity and appreciation in my eyes. My heart strings burn with sadness as my brain reminds me this is only a visit. I'll never forget this place.

ONE HOUR LATER

The boys all leave to get pizza and some more crisps since I ate them all. I decide now would be a good time to fix the cabinets, so, I go to the garage and look for the tools I'll need. When I unearth the things needed, I walk into the kitchen to find Mum sitting at the table with a mug of coffee in front of her. I make my way to the cabinets and start unscrewing them.