Chapter 70: Collision

Tara's POV --- Hospital; 10:00PM

The doctor doesn't come out of the surgery room for three hours. What is taking so long!? They should've been out here by now! They are an hour late! I think angrily.

I glance over at Kayla and Jack to find them sleeping against each other. I wish I could just close my eyes and let my mind relax and refresh. But with the doctors in the surgery room with Mum's life in their hands, I can't. I just can not allow myself to rest until I know Mum is fine.

Niall: Is everything okay?

Tara: We'll talk later

I know I should explain but I don't think I can without bursting into tears.

Niall: We are coming to see you guys tomorrow morning. Where should we meet?

I sigh. My heart starts to get excited, but only for a moment.

Tara: In the upper cafeteria at 9:30

I hit send and wait. My heart is screaming at me to tell Niall about Mum's sudden surgery but my brain is shouting to tell him in person. I let my brain win this battle.

Tara: I have to go. Text me when you leave tomorrow

I turn my phone off before Niall can respond. Maybe I should have waited just so I know what he said in response. I shake my head and place my phone in my boot. I'll just look at it later, I think. I slouch down and lean my head on Jack's other shoulder and pray that sleep will whisk me away from this horrid nightmare.

Niall's POV

I wake up feeling fresh and ready for the day. Tara is just a couple hours from being mine. I shake my head. Don't get too cocky, Horan, I think. Not a good idea to get this sure when she could totally reject you. I inhale deeply and hold it. Closing my eyes, I imagine the perfect scenario. Tara's beautiful red hair up in a messy bun and her clothes comfy. Jack and Kayla behind her. The doctor telling her that her mum is cured and that it shouldn't be coming back anytime soon. And then, Tara turning around and jumping into my waiting arms. Her tiny frame pressed against my broad chest as I wrap my arms around her waist and pick her up. The smile and tears on her face as she finally relaxes. I imagine the sparkle in her eye that seems to get brighter and brighter as each second passes.

"I love you," I would say into her ear. I would watch her smile grow even bigger as she hears my words.

"I love you more," Tara says, her voice filled to the very brim with passion and love and longing.

My entire stomach twists at the thought of Tara being mine forever. Is it even possible that she loves me? Or maybe she doesn't ever want to see me again.

"Stop that!" I softly shout to myself. The bathroom mirror in front of me shows confidence and poise, but what it isn't showing is my doubt and worry lying underneath my facade.

"Tara is the one. If you feel this strong about her, I have no doubt that she has the exact same feelings about you," Liam says, leaning against the bathroom door frame. I look at him in the mirror and watch as he pushes off the wood and walk up to me. I sigh and wait for Liam to reach me in front of the sink.

"I sure hope so," I say. I turn around and lean against the bathroom counter, my arms folding over my chest. "How much longer 'till we leave?"

Liam pulls out his phone and sighs.

"About an hour."

"Man, 9:30 just can't come any quicker, can it?"

Liam laughs when I say that. I look back at the mirror and take in Liam's appearance. He is dressed in jeans and a white T-shirt. I can tell he showered because his hair is slightly wet and I can smell his body soap.