Chapter 72: Illusions Bring Hope

Tara's POV

Jack and Kayla walk into the hospital and weave themselves through the millions of doctors and nurses and crying families. I almost get separated but Jack grabs my hand before a doctor can walk between us. I blindly follow him until we make it to the waiting room that is Oh!-too-familiar. The nurse at the reception desk spots us and gets up. She has a stack of papers in her hand. The pile has got to have at least twenty papers.

"I'm Karen. These are the papers you need to fill out in order to allow your mum to leave the hospital and go to a funeral home. Have you chosen where she is going to be buried?" Karen says in a boring tone. Jack, Kayla, and I look at each other, worry and stress etching its way on to our faces.

"Um, no. We haven't gotten a chance to yet," Jack says after a long pause. Karen nods her head sheepishly and begins to divide the papers. She gives each of us seven pages. I look at my stack's first paper and read the title. In Memory Of.

"Guys, I got the pile with her life information," I state. I don't know what I was expecting in response, but whatever it was, it didn't come. Jack and Kayla give me a "Mm" but continue filling out their papers pretty much oblivious. So, I sit down and begin filling out the questions.

TWENTY MINTES LATER

After I finish the third page, my phone buzzes. I ignore it at first but then it buzzes three more times. Jack glares at me and then my phone on the table. I grab the phone and slide it open.

Hunter: Hey Babe!

Hunter: Babe if you're mad at me don't be

Hunter: BABE! ANSWER YOUR DAMN PHONE!

Hunter: Seriously, what could you be doing that you can't even answer your boyfriend's texts!?

My fingers stay poised over the keyboard as my mind tries to figure out what to say. I don't really want to tell him my mum died, but if I tell him, maybe he'll stop bugging me right now.

Tara: I can't talk right now. I have some family issues to deal with

I wait for his response, the three little dots mesmerizing me. Finally, my phone buzzes slightly and his response pops us on my screen.

Hunter: Babe, I totally get it. But next time answer your damn phone when I text you! I don't like it when you don't answer. Makes me think you're dead or with another man. I do care you know

I laugh at his response. My phone buzzes but it's not Hunter. Instead, it's Niall.

Niall: We're boarding the plane. Be there in about an hour and a half. Hang in there, Blueberry!

I smile for the first time in three days. I'm about to respond when I know exactly what my response to Hunter will be.

Tara: Hunter, we are done. Please don't call me ever again.

My entire body feels like it's being lifted off the ground. I feel like a gigantic weight has finally been removed from my shoulders. Hunter was just holding me down. And, now I can focus on everything I've been trying to do. Maybe I won't try getting together with Niall but at least now I can look for someone who won't abuse me or try to take advantage of me.

I check the time and softly groan. How can it already by 7:40? I ask myself.

I don't answer Niall, mainly, because I figure he's already on the plane and won't even get my text.

I put my phone down, silencing it first, and looking down at the papers sitting in my lap. I take a deep breath and read the next question. 18) How many children? Three. 19) Occupation? Accountant. 20) Epitaph? I read.