Chapter 51: The Girl In the Mirror

Tara's POV

Kelly works frantically on my hair and make up. She keeps me away from the mirror so I can't see what she's doing. But from what I can tell, she has my hair in a high ponytail that is curled. Kelly put light pink lipstick on my lips along with strawberry lipgloss. I'm not much of a let's-dress-up-all-pretty-for-a-boy because I grew up with Jack. And Jack's friends were never very cute. Then, I met Hunter. He's the first boy I've ever actually felt the need to look good for. All the other dates I've gone on, Josie forced me in to a dress just to impress them. I decide to tell Kelly about Josie and all her crazy schemes to get me a boyfriend.

"Josie sounds awesome," Kelly says whilst applying some eye shadow. I let a soft snort slip from my lips when I hear this. "What? Are you guys not talking or something?"

"Mm, you could say that. I mean, she and I had an argument back in May and we haven't exactly had a normal conversation since then," I say. Kelly stops painting my eyes and steps back. I open my eyes and look up at her.

"Well, I had that same problem when I was in college. Her name was Linda. We were best friends and everything. We could talk about anything for hours on end without getting bored with each other. Then, Linda got a boyfriend who...wasn't the greatest guy out there. I decided that by telling Linda about my worry, I would be doing the right thing. Instead, she took it as me being jealous or something. We got into a huge fight and haven't spoken since," Kelly says, looking through her make up bag for something.

"That's horrible!" I exclaim. Kelly nods her head sadly.

"Yeah." Kelly wipes her eyes with the back of her palm. "Which is my point. I lost my best friend over a guy. I don't want you losing your best friend because of a relationship. Promise me you'll at least try talking to her?"

I nod my head in response. Kelly lets out a shaky laugh and tries to smile. It's a sad smile, but I know she's actually happy.

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

Kelly smiles down at me and backs up. She nods her head and starts packing up her make up.

"Okay. Stay there and DO NOT look in the mirror. Got it?" Kelly commands. I nod my head and pull out my phone. Kelly shakes her head and snatches it up.

"Crap!" Kelly yells. "Your phone just cut me."

I shake my head apologetically and try to grab a towel behind me. Kelly shakes her head and quickly turns my head back to her before I can look in the mirror.

"No. Just stay and don't move," Kelly says. She waves her hand in the air to stop the stinging from the cut. The room gets quiet as Kelly leaves the bathroom to find me an outfit. I am tempted to turn around and look in the mirror but I don't want Kelly to catch me peeking.

Kelly comes back a few minutes with my grey, knitted crop top where the sleeves hang off my shoulders; thankfully, there are noodle straps on my shoulders to keep the shirt up. In her other hand is a pair of pink, high waisted shorts. She throws the clothes at me and tells me change. I stand up and put on the clothes. My ponytail whips me in the face and gets stuck on my lips because of the lipgloss. Kelly smiles widely as she looks at me.

"Great! Now, for the finishing touches," Kelly says, handing me my black heart ring, caged gemstone necklace, and my charm bracelet. I put on the gold heart studs and white sandals. Kelly still won't let me look in the mirror. Even though I haven't actually seen what I look like, I can tell I look good.

"Okay! Now," Kelly grabs my shoulders and starts turning me around, "be amazed!"

I gasp as I see my reflection. The mirror must be broken because the person I see isn't me. I had figured I would look better than usual but this is incredible. I, honestly, don't know how Kelly did it.