Chapter 60: Please Come Back

Harry's POV

I wake up on Tara's couch and look at her bedroom door. It's shut tight. I get up and wiggle the knob to find it locked. I groan and knock on the door. When Tara doesn't answer right away, I knock again and call out her name.

"Tara!" I shout. Again, no answer. Where on Earth is she! I think, my mind racing too fast to process anything. I fumble around the living area to find my phone and call Liam.

"Hello, Hazza! How's Tar-" Liam chirps. I butt in quickly, though.

"She's gone," I state. Liam's end gets so quiet I check to make sure our conversation wasn't cut off.

"Where could she have gone?" Liam asks quietly. I shrug my shoulders even though I know he can't see me.

"I have no idea," I say, "But she must've left after I fell asleep morning because I was up until about 4:30."

I hear Liam "Mm" and can tell he is thinking. I want to go running through San Diego calling her name until she answers me. What if she's dead on a street right now? What if she's being attacked by a big, ugly man? What if she's being raped at this very moment? I shake the thoughts out of my head as Liam's voice comes bursting through the ear piece.

"We have sound check in an hour. We'll talk there," Liam says calmly. I shake my head.

"No, that's too long away. Tara could be lying in an alley bleeding to death," I hurriedly say. Liam chuckles at my comment, says goodbye, and hangs up. I let out a shout and throw my phone on the couch. I sit down right as my phone buzzes.

Liam: Don't tell any of the boys about Tara's disappearance

I groan and throw my head into my hands. The room gets cold and quiet as my mind runs over every horrible possibility known to man.

ONE HOUR LATER

I get to Qualcomm Stadium right as it starts raining. Perfect, I think grumpily. This day just keeps getting better and better.

I go to the stage and find Liam talking to Niall about something.

"But she's an amazing girl. I really like her," Niall says.

"I know, I know. I just...don't want to see you hurt again," Liam says, placing one hand on Niall's shoulder. Niall nods his head and walks away to tune his guitar. Liam looks up and motions for me to follow him. I look around for my mic, grab it, and follow Liam to his dressing room.

Liam's dressing room looks just like the rest: clothes, makeup table, closet, and lots and lots of food. I sit down on the couch and look up at Liam. He's messing with his jacket zipper. I look down at my mic. I flick the switch from on to off then on to off again. The little tab gets stuck so I try to force it back down to off

"So, Tara was just gone when you woke up?" Liam asks, sitting down next to me. I nod my head as I sit up so I can grip the microphone better.

"Weird. I wonder where she would've gone. I mean, it's not like she could just get on a plane to Ireland on such short notice."

"She," I start as my fingers slip over the tab. My thumb starts to bleed a little, but I ignore it. "She could've bought it awhile ago and just forgotten about it."

"Yeah, but you would think she'd remember to tell us she'd be leaving."

I have to agree with Liam. I mean, you don't just forget about buying a plane ticket to go back home.

"Unless it was, like, a sudden thing. Like, she had to leave for Ireland," I suggest. Liam clears his throat and puts his hand under his chin as he processes everything.

"We have to find her," I say. I pull the mic closer to my eyes so I can look at the stupid tab.

"But where would we look?" Liam asks. I sigh and start biting my bottom lip in frustration.

"I don't know! But Tara is missing and we have to go after her!" I shout, my voice louder than it should've been. Much, much louder.

Tara's POV

I make it through the horrible car ride without letting any more tears fall. Brent drops me off at my flat so quickly that I almost lose a leg. I haul my bag up the stairs until I'm at my door. I never realized that having the boys carry my bags was such a privilege. This bag is heavy!

I unlock my door and walk in. Nothing has changed.

I let out a sad sigh and slump into my couch. I'm sitting in the same spot I sat in when Liam and the boys came over to discuss everything. I remember looking over at Niall and seeing this stunned and contradicted expression on his face. The face said he was thinking one thing, but then questioning why he was thinking that.

Right now, I'm positive that I have that same expression on my face. I'm so happy to be back in London, but I loved being on the road with the boys in America. I loved getting to know the boys, but I also don't want to get attached to them since I'll most likely never see them again after this summer ends. I know I like Niall as more than a friend, but I'm tied to Hunter until he gets bored of me.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Kayla calls me around 5:00PM whilst I'm eating dinner. My turkey and cheese sandwich sits on my plate with a cup of apple juice next to it. I feel like I'm in primary school again.

"Hey, how was your flight?" Kayla asks through the phone. I shrug and move to my couch.

"Fine. Hunter was on the same plane so I wasn't alone," I say.

"Who's Hunter?" Kayla asks, her voice rising an octave as she starts gushing over how I have a boyfriend.

"Kayla!" I shout. Kayla stops abruptly and I know that she's pouting on the other end. "Can you tell me why I'm back in London? I was in America for the first time and am not too happy that I have had to cut out some time."

"Kitara, Mum's in the hospital in London. I had you come back because," Kayla says, her voice cracking suddenly, "the doctors aren't sure if she's going to make it."

My breath catches in my throat as I remember Mum's returning cancer.

"No," I whisper. Kayla sniffles on the other end as everything sinks in.

"W-What's happening with Dad?" I ask, my own voice cracking a bit. Kayla clears her throat a few times and sniffs in.

"He's being released on parole so he can take care of us," Kayla croaks. I pinch my eyes closed and try to stifle my sobs. To no prevail, the tears fall and the hiccups come rapidly. Kayla starts crying on the other end with me.

I can't believe this. Mum can't die. She just can't leave us so soon.

Kayla hangs up on me and I curl up in a ball on my couch. I close my eyes and try to ignore the beating of my heart in my ears. My phone buzzes.

Hunter: I miss you already, Babe. Let's meet up.

I ignore him. But my phone buzzes a second time. I want to ignore it, but my gut tells me it's important.

Niall: Wherever you are. Please come back to me.

A/N:

Heylo! Sorry I have been updating lately. I've just a whole bunch of things on my plate. If you haven't read my post on my board, read it. It's too long for me to retype, so, please read it and understand. It's for the best of me and the best of this story.

Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me! Love ya!