Chapter 58: Five In the Morning

Harry's POV

Tara doesn't answer Liam right away and just stands in front of the sink, her back to us. I glance at Liam and see he's getting up to make sure Tara is okay. I stand up too and walk to the opposite side of Tara as Liam.

"You okay, Tara?" Liam asks, placing a hand on her shoulder. Tara doesn't respond so I take her hand and guide her to the couch. Liam follows us with a glass of water and a damp cloth towel. Tara drops to a sitting position with a glaze over her eyes. Her expression is completely blank. I glance up at Liam for some sort of clue as to what is happening, but he's got the same confused expression on his face.

"Kayla...Jack...Mum...sick," Tara mumbles softly. I keep my eye on her as I try to form words to talk to Liam.

"Should we call Paul?" I whisper to Liam. He nods his head and pulls out his phone. Tara flinches and right as Liam is about to press call, Tara slaps the phone from his hand. It flies across the living area and lands with a soft thump.

"Don't you dare call Paul. Or anyone else for that matter," Tara says. She stands up abruptly and walks over to the bedroom door. I turn around so I can watch her go through the doorway. Liam goes and picks up his phone, examines it, and sits down next to me.

"Any idea on what's going on?" I ask. Liam shakes his head. I let out a sigh and sit back to wait for Tara to come back out. Liam opens his phone up and starts typing furiously.

"Okay, Danielle says that I should try asking her in a way that isn't obvious. Like, I'll say something like 'How's your Mum and Dad been without you at home?' or something. You know?" Liam says, finally looking up and turning his phone off. I nod my head thoughtfully. That could work.

"And, if that doesn't work, then we should probably leave her alone for the night," Liam finishes.

"Okay," I say. Just as I'm about to mention that Tara could very easily not come out of her room until morning, Tara comes out with her bag in her hand. She starts throwing random things in it whilst mumbling some words to herself. Liam and I both stare at her, totally taken back from her strange energy.

"So, Tara. Come sit down with us. We don't really know much about you. And, you don't really know much about us. Why don't we all have a little sit down together?" Liam suggests. I roll my eyes at his jumbled up statement. Why don't you just scream "We wanna know what's wrong!" at the top of your lungs? I think. Tara barely acknowledges his request. So, I walk over to her, grab her bag, throw it across the room, and pull her to the couch. I force her to sit down. Even though my legs are over her lap, she is still squirming a bit.

"So," Liam starts awkwardly, "have you spoken to your parents lately?"

Tara tenses up instantly. The room around us grows cold and silent. When it's obvious Tara isn't going to answer us, and that we've struck a nerve, Liam tries to pry a little more out of her.

"Um, what about your sister? Is she at home? Or is she somewhere else?"

Again, Tara tenses up immediately. She doesn't respond, but her mouth opens and closes a few times.

"Why aren't you answering us?" I ask softly. Tara slowly turns her head to me, and I see that something is seriously wrong. Her normally blue eyes are so dull and bland that it's like her sparkle has just died. Never to return again.

"I'll," Tara starts slowly. Liam and I lean in because she is whispering, "be right back."

And with that, Tara swiftly stands up and walks back into the bedroom. Liam and I stare at the door for what feels like an hour. I glance at my watch, 4:27AM.

"We should get back. The interview starts in four hours," Liam says. He stands up and looks down at me. I feel like we shouldn't leave her. I mean, she's acting so weird. What if she does something to herself?

"I don't think we should leave her. I'll stay the night, just out here," I say. Liam sighs but nods his head in agreement.

"Yeah, okay," Liam says. He walks to the door and opens it. "Night, Harry."

"Night!"

Tara's POV

I stay in my bedroom until 5:15. I peek through my door and see Harry sleeping peacefully on the couch. I silently curse him for staying the night. I had just assumed he and Liam would leave after they realized I wasn't coming back out.

I close my door and tip toe over to my bag. Picking it up will be tricky. I don't have too many things in it, but I have enough in it for it to make a noise when being moved. I slowly lift it off the ground and creep over to the door. I unlock the door and open it. The door creaks a little and I stop. Harry moves around, freezes, and then moves again so his face is in the pillow. I let out a sigh and slip out the door.

I walk down the hallway just trying to breath normally. I'm about to turn the corner when I hear someone walking down it. I slow down and peer around the wall. Louis is walking down the hallway, his back to me. My fingers are trembling so much that my backpack starts the slip. It falls, my things shifting noisily inside, and hits my foot with a soft crunch. I look back at Louis and see him turning around.

Louis' POV

I walk down the hallway on my way back from Taco Bell when some girls see me. They wave and start to get emotional but don't bother coming up to me. I'm, honestly, really happy that they decide to stay away because it's nearly five-thirty in the morning and I don't think I could be very nice at the moment.

I turn the corner and continue on my way. I feel someone watching me but that's not unusual for me, so I ignore it. Something drops behind me and, on instinct, I turn around to make sure they are okay. I don't see anyone, but farther down the hallway at the corner, a long wisp of bright red hair whisks past the corner and down the other way. I quickly walk over to the corner and look down the corridor. No one is there.

I shrug my shoulders and turn back in the direction I was going. I start humming Fireproof and instantly think of Tara.

At the mere thought of her, my gut twists into a knowing feeling. Like something isn't right. But what could be wrong at five in the morning? 

A/N:

Heylo! Sorry for the crappy ending. I hope things get better. I have it all planned out, but I'm starting to question my writing skills.

Also! Perfect is coming out tomorrow! So, if you've preordered One Direction's newest album Made In the A.M. then you'll get it sometime tomorrow! If you haven't 1) SHAME ON YOU! and 2) GO DO IT RIGHT THIS SECOND!

Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me. Love ya!