Chapter 29: The Almost Kiss

Tara's POV

I wake up to the smell of bacon. I groan but make myself sit up. I cross my legs as I try to get my vision under control. I look around to see that Niall and Zayn are still sleeping. I hear someone snore, and I flip upside down to look into Harry's bunk. Sure enough, he's fast asleep and snoring happily. I smile to myself, still upside down. I try to pull myself back up when I lose my grip on the side railing. I fall down and land on the wooden floor. My head is inches away from hitting Harry's bunk. I sit up, rubbing my back. It must've hit something because it stings like crazy. I stand up and walk to the bathroom. I do my business and brush my teeth and look in the mirror. Deciding not to shower just yet, I open the bathroom door to see Niall ready to knock on the door. I smile and slip past him. I feel him staring at my back which gives me the shivers.

"Tara!" Niall shouts. I turn around quickly. His face is covered in concern. He walks over to me, his hands moving slowly to my back. I flinch when he touches me.

"What is it?" I ask. He looks at my face.

"What happened?" Niall asks. I give him a confused look. He sighs and pulls my shirt up. I try to back away, but I run into someone else.

"Woah!" Liam says, "What happened?"

"What do you mean!?" I whine, starting to get really annoyed.

"You got blood all over your shirt!" Niall exclaims. Zayn turns to face the wall and groans. "And I know that periods don't do that!" He whispers the last part. I whip off my shirt, my blue sports bra showing, and look at my shirt. I find a long cut in it and blood stains around it. I mumble some curse words and dash over to my bunk.

I'm rummaging through my bag when someone pokes my stomach. I let out a scream and jump back.

"You have a cute tummy," Harry says in his morning voice. He's looking up at me. I look down at him, the fact that I'm shirtless hits me hard. I grab a random shirt and try to run to the bathroom, but instead I hear Louis whistle.

"I like the way you wake up, Tara," Louis says cheekily. My face goes bright red, and I shut myself in the small bathroom. I try to wash the cut as best I can. But it's pointless. I can't reach my back well enough to be able to clean it properly. I sigh, knowing I'm going to need someone to help me.

I open the door just a little and poke my head through. Harry is out of his bunk, and Zayn is moving around trying to get comfortable. Niall walks in, a plate full of food in his hands. I mentally kick myself as I open my mouth.

"Hey, Niall," I say softly. He looks over at me, "Could you help me?"

Niall smiles at me, set his plate in his bunk, and walks over to me.

Niall's POV

"Hey, Niall," someone whispers. I look toward where the sound came from to see Tara's head poking out from the bathroom. "Could you help me?" I can hear her embarrassment. I smile and walk over to her.

I walk in the bathroom and wet some toilet paper. Tara turns so her back is facing me. I start cleaning it. She winces at first, so I try to be extra careful.

Once all the blood is gone, I grab a whole bunch of bandages.

"You know this is going to hurt like hell when you take these off, right?" I ask, glancing in the mirror to see her smile a little. My stomach erupts in butterflies at it. What the? I think, Why am I getting butterflies? I'm not doing anything butterfly worthy.

"Yeah," Tara says slowly, her voice barely above a whisper. I glance at her again. I finish putting the last bandaid on and gently pat her back.

"All better!" I say happily. Tara throws her shirt on and turns to face me, her cheeks bright red. I smile as I study her beautiful face. Her freckles are darker and her lips look so soft. I start to lean forward, and Tara leans in too. Right as I'm about to close the gap between us, someone opens the door and we fall out.

Tara's POV

I'm looking at Niall and can't help but thinking of how hot he is. And I know girls use that term so much, but in this case it's true! His dirty blonde hair is swooped perfectly and his blue eyes look endless. I find myself leaning forward, and, surprisingly, Niall is too. I smile.

Right as our lips are about to touch, the door swings open. Niall falls back, grabbing my hand. I fall on top of him. I laugh and look at Niall and he's laughing too.

"Ooo! Did I interrupt something?" Zayn asks, smirking at us. My mind tries to process what he says. What does he mean by that? I think. I look down at Niall who is grinning ear to ear.

As I'm looking at Niall's eyes again, I realize how close I am to him. My expression changes as I remember how ugly I am. I quickly get up and back away. I try to think of an excuse as to why I suddenly needed to get away from them.

"Um, I have to, uh, shower," I say, my mind thinking slowly. I grab some random clothes. Niall gets up and brushes himself off. He's still smiling.

"Okay," Niall says, walking past me. I let out a sigh of relief. I look at Zayn, who is still standing in front of the bathroom door. He's giving me a weird look. In an attempt to lighten the mood, I make a funny face. Zayn smiles and nods his head. He steps aside and makes a go-right-ahead gesture.

I get in the bathroom and close the door. I let out a small laugh and turn the shower on. I strip down and wait for the water to get warm.

What was that? Did Niall really want to kiss me? But why? I'm nothing special. I'm just s boring girl who's done nothing with her life. I've gone to nationals in the spelling bee, but that's puny compared to what the boys have done. Hell, they're freakin traveling the world singing their hearts out. They are living their dreams. And I'm just an employee. And plus, I'm in a steady relationship. Sure, Hunter's been a bit distant lately, but he's in a totally new country. And I know that he ended the relationship, but I know he didn't mean it. In fact, I'm going to call him today to straighten everything out. I know he loves me and I love him...I think.

Then why do I secretly wish Niall did kiss me?

A/N:

Heylo! Happy International Lefthander's Day! So, let's all take a moment to appreciate Niall James Horan and his lefthandiness. God bless him!

Lol, I'm so weird. Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote,
and/or follow me! Love ya!

P.S. My sister-from-another-mother just finished her first story. It's called "The Year of James Highland". Go read it!

P.P.S. It's by PurpleSpaceUnicorn11