Chapter 68: Secret Emotions

Tara's POV

I hadn't told anyone about the spot where Niall and I had gone to after we jumped off the swings because it was originally a little refuge for me to go to when life at Uni got overwhelming or dramatic. Niall and I had walked down this very sidewalk, hands entwined. Everything was so nice and quiet. The wind was calm and the birds silent. Not a single animal seemed to dare to move or breathe. It was as if the Earth itself knew that this moment would stick with me for the rest of my life and nothing wanted to ruin it.

I walk farther down until I find it. A secret little pond that I had found the very first week at Uni. I wasn't planning on it, but I showed Niall the hiding spot. I remember worrying about what his reaction would be when he sees that I hide away from the world behind bushes and trees. But his reaction surprised me. Instead of laughing at me, he sat right down under my favourite tree, leaned against the big tree trunk, and closed his eyes. I watched him sit there, a peaceful expression on his face, and just relax under the shade of the tree.

I sit down in the same spot Niall had sat in. I look around at the pond and the trees and the flowers and the little critters. The squirrels and the fish move around happily. The air pushes the water and the turtle family downstream. Fish and birds jump up and swim down as they enjoy the calm mid-summer afternoon.

I let out a sad sigh and look down at my lap. Out of the corner of my eye, I spot something I've never noticed before.

"What the?" I ask myself as I get up and move towards it. As I get closer, my eyes start to water as my heart grows heavy. "Why can't the universe just let me be?" 

I tear my eyes away to prevent more tears from falling than already are. Everything I've seen today has done nothing but make me feel sad and lonely.

I swallow harshly and stumble my way to the secret bush entrance. My eyes are still filled to the brim with tears because of all the symbols that have found its way to me today. If this day gets any more emotional, I don't want to know about it.

Jack: We have a problem

Niall's POV

Louis and I sit there in silence, just staring out at the horizon. By now, the sun is long gone, but I can still see the city lights in the far off distance.

As we sit there in the quiet night, I start thinking some more. I begin to think about Tara again. What is she doing right now? Does she miss us? Is she alone or with some old friends or family? I think. What if she's decided not to come back to us? Is it possible that she'd leave us half way through the summer part of our tour? I mean, she said she really needed those intern hours.

My phone buzzes in my pocket but I ignore it. Who ever it is, they can wait. Right now, all I want to do is sit here and think about the girl I'm going to win over in just a couple of days. Tara and I will finally be together. No matter what Life throws at us.

Liam's POV

Harry, Zayn, and I watch Louis and Niall sit under the big Rowan tree in Niall's backyard. Everything seems to be going fine. I mean, no one has thrown a punch yet, so, that's good news!

"Do you think they're okay now?" Harry asks after seeing Louis stand up and turn around. It doesn't look like Lou said anything to Niall before he left, though.

"I...I'm not sure," I reply, knitting my eyebrows together at the sight of Louis leaving without a word. Things were looking all right just a moment ago. Is it possible that Louis and Niall didn't make up? Are they still mad at each other? If Louis and Niall don't make up, what's going to happen? Will they ever make up? If they don't, will they be able to work together? Perform together? Travel together?! My forehead creases as I feel myself worry more and more.

"Lads, we all know Louis and Niall. We know that they will eventually make up. Everything will be fine," Zayn says easily. I nod my head in agreement. He's right, as always.

"Zayn's right. Things will work themselves out. Hopefully soon," I say. I look behind me at Zayn and Harry and give them a nod. Right as I'm about to offer up another positive comment, the sliding door behind me opens up and Louis steps over the threshold.

I smile at him and he returns it with a rather forced one. Louis walks around Harry and Zayn and disappears around the corner. Harry does a down-whistle and then clicks his tongue. I release a worried sigh and look at my feet.

Harry's POV

Louis comes and goes through the kitchen. None of us bother stopping him, though. I, honestly, am not worried about Louis and Niall. They're best buds. Nothing can break a brotherly bond like the one those two have. It's just not possible.

As I stand there, waiting for something to happen, I quickly realize nothing is. The room is quiet and still, and Niall is outside watching the stars. What could happen? Nothing. So, I decide to go to my room and maybe call Mum. I haven't talked to her in a while. And, I'm sure Gemma would enjoy hearing from me. I could even tell her the new joke I've been working on.

"Things better get fixed fast," Zayn says, looking up from his phone. I look at him with a questioning expression in my face.

"Why?" Liam asks. I tilt my head forward and run my hands through my crazy curls.

"Tara's mum is going into an emergency surgery," Zayn says, his voice wobbling insanely.

A/N:

Heylo! I know, I know, know! This chapter sucks. I'm hoping that my writing gets better. But for some reason, it's not. Sorry for not updating at all last week. I was working on the story and then I got distracted and then it was, like, midnight. Anyway, sorry!

Because I didn't update last week Sunday, I'll finally give my opinion on the song If I Could Fly. I think the song means that he (the boys) have only a few select people they actually truly trust enough to be totally shut down. Like, no defense up at all. They are "completely defenseless". He shows his heart to one person he feels truly attached to. Louis's part makes me want to cry. Like, when he sings, "I've got scars / even though they can't always be seen / and pain gets hard / but now you're here and I don't feel a thing", everything inside me wants to hold him until he's completely scarless. I love this song...maybe a little too much.

Also, Congratulations to One Direction for winning Best Group/Duo and Artist of the Year (again!) at the American Music Awards tonight! And their performance of Perfect was, well, perfect. Haha, that's awesome that I can make that joke!

Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me. Love ya!