Chapter 37: Chatting With the Stars

Tara's POV

I run away from Niall as fast as my legs will take me. I stop at a park and sit down on a bench. Letting out a shaky breath, I put my head in my hands. I shake it whilst mumbling some curse words. I look up at the stars.

"Why does this have to be so complicated?" I ask the stars. I don't get any response and stare at them, thinking about everything that's going wrong.

"I mean, what did I do to deserve all this? I've always been a good person, at least I think I have. I just want to know, why do you find it entertaining to watch people suffer?" I say. I look around the park. It's just trees and a few bushes. There are benches in various spots. In the center is a labyrinth. I stand and look at it. Sitting down at the entrance, I watch the moonlight dance on the circling tiles. The clouds making it seem translucent and nonexistent. The way the light bounces off the little pieces of glass are almost hypnotic.

In an attempt to find an answer to the one thing on my mind, I take a step in the circle. I follow the path, taking it all slowly and pondering my problem. I walk the winding path until I'm at the very center. The beautiful center. It is half a sun and half a moon. And in the center of that is a sun dial. I look closer to it, examining the arrow. I see a quote inscribed in the marble.

"Patience is the key to solve all problems," I read.

I close my eyes, take a deep breath, and count to ten. I open my eyes, not feeling any better. I kick the ground and let out a scream. It's an ear piercing scream. I fall to the ground, my hands covering my eyes. I sob into my palms.

I keep crying, even after someone picks me up. The person cradles me in their arms, shifting their position so that it's more comfortable for them. My blurry eyes find the person's shirt, and, on instinct, my hands ball them up. I bury my face in the person's shoulder, crying my eyes out.

I cry for what seems like hours. The person hasn't said anything yet, but I know it's a man. He is very muscular but not the overly hard muscular. He's actually quite comfortable. I can't bring myself to look at him. I'm embarrassed by my actions. I want to dig a hole and bury myself in it. At least there I won't have to deal with my problems. I won't have to worry about Hunter abusing me, or falling for Niall more than I already have. I won't have to worry about Dad's sentence to prison, or Josie, or even Mom's returning cancer. I won't have to worry about anything, not even myself.

"Are you feeling better?" a British voice asks. My mind snaps up and I look at the man holding me.

Zayn Malik.

I try to pull away, but he holds on to me. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into a hug. He keeps me there, and I find myself feeling calmer as his thumb runs up and down my back. I feel him smile against my hair. So, I put on a smile and pull back so I can properly apologize to him.

"I'm sorry I've been blubbering into your shoulder. You're probably thinking I'm an idiot or something," I say, looking from his face to my hands. My thumbs move in circles to keep my mind from going insane.

"Don't worry about it, Tara," Zayn says, bending down so his eyes can see mine under my shield of hair. I try to look away. "Are you okay, though?"

"Um, yeah. Just a little tired," I say, lying. I feel bad about it, but I know he doesn't really care about my problems. Why should he?

"Now that's not true," Zayn says sternly. I look up, surprised. "I know you're tired but that's not all that's going on. So, I want you to tell me what's wrong and why you're always running."

Zayn keeps his eyes locked with mine. I want to look away or get up and run, but something is holding me still. I open my mouth to explain, but nothing comes out.