Chapter 55: Changing Plans

Tara's POV

Josie and I walk down the street until we end up at a Steak N Shake. I open the door and wait for Josie to enter first. The restaurant isn't too crowded, but, then again, it is, like, eleven o'clock right now. I walk up to the drowsy cashier. He's about forty years old and looks like he's ready to kill someone. I stand back a little and look up at the menu.

"I'll take a double cheeseburger meal, please," I say sweetly. I smile at the man and he returns it with a droopy one. I drop the smile and back away again. Josie walks up to the man with a bright smile on her face. The man gives her a real smile.

"What can I get you, miss?" He asks kindly. My eyes go wide as I realize he's being nice to Josie. I shake my head and smile. What's new? I think to myself. Josie orders a shake and fries. We go find a seat and wait for our number to be called.

Our food finally comes. I watch the steamy cheeseburger hungrily. The second the tray is on the table, I snatch my food and dig in. I roll my eyes up and smile. So good! Josie laughs at me and takes out her phone. She snaps a pic of me and types something on her phone. I don't even think of what she's doing. Right now, all that matters is this food getting in my stomach as fast as possible.

My phone buzzes in my purse annoyingly. I groan and pull it out. I look at it.

"Josie," I say cautiously. I glance up and see Josie smiling evilly. I open my phone, through my new passcode so no one can get in it now, and click the Twitter app. I go to my mentions and see Josie's latest tweet.

"Read it out loud," Josie says happily. I glare at her before reading it again.

"@shymusic3 beautiful pic love! So glad we're talking again <3," I read. I roll my eyes and type my response. Josie's phone dings and she opens it up.

"@fashionastrid20 thanks girly! Now, take it down. I look hideous," Josie reads. She looks up at me and shakes her head. The pink phone Josie is holding softly drops to the table. I stare at her, disbelief coursing through my veins.

"Dude! Take it off!" I say. Josie shakes her head and dips a fry in her shake.

"Nah. It's already posted. People have seen it by now, I'm sure," Josie says simply. I grab her phone and slide the lock screen. I know her passcode, so I type it in.

"Why'd you change your passcode?"  I ask, annoyed that I can't get in her phone and change it.

"Because I knew you would try to take it down that way."

"You're a jerk."

I cross my arms in a pout. Josie just laughs and steals one of my fries. I smack her hand and take the fry back. We start giggling at our stupid little fight over the fry.

We laugh and talk for an hour about absolutely nothing and everything. We go from school to bands to friends to family to colors of the rainbow. It's awesome! I guess I never really truly realized just how much I missed my best friend.

Just then, my phone buzzes loudly. I flip it over on the table and swipe to open it.

Hunter: Babe, let's get together and talk

"What's wrong?" Josie asks, concern seeping in her voice. I shake my head and keep my eyes on one certain crack on my phone.

"N-nothing," I say in an attempt to throw Josie off. Much to my dislike, though, Josie knows me like she knows every word of every One Direction song on every album ever dropped. Josie gives me the evil eye and crosses her arms tightly across her chest. I sigh and look down at my drink.

"Hunter wants to meet up with me again," I say, finally caving in. Josie sits up straight and stares hard at me.

"You're not going to, are you?"

I shrug my shoulders and take a sip of my drink. The fizz of my Dr. Pepper bubbles over my tongue, which calms me down a little. I want to go, but do I really want to risk it? I mean, Hunter was going insane just a few hours ago. I don't think I should go see him without someone to protect me in case something bad happens. In case Hunter decides he's bored and wants to have sex with me.

"Tara," Josie says, suddenly getting very serious, "can I be totally honest and totally blunt without you getting all defensive?"

"No," I reply jokingly. Josie rolls her eyes and glares at me.

"Too bad," Josie says, taking a sip from her shake. "Hunter Brinx is bad news. You know that I don't trust the guy, and I know that you hate me for that. But, right now, I don't give a crap. I do, however, know that all Hunter Brinx has ever wanted is to get in your pants. That's all he's been after and you know it. I know you do. I know that you know that Hunter isn't the sweet, kind, caring gentleman you thought he was. So, do yourself a favor and break the sorry ass's heart!" Josie finishes. I have to stifle a laugh because Josie is being totally serious right now.

"J, you're right. I don't trust Hunter anymore. And, I tried to break up with him. But, he threatened to do something horrible to the boys if I don't agree to keep dating him."

I stare sadly at my food, no longer feeling like a ravenous raccoon anymore. Josie growls and mumbles some colorful words. Again, I have to stifle a laugh because it's hilarious when Josie curses.

"Hey, are you going on the camping trip this weekend?" Josie asks, changing the subject to lighten the mood. I nod my head and look down at my buzzing phone.

"Wait. Maybe not," I say, opening a text from my sister.

Kayla: You need to come home ASAP

A/N:

Heylo! Okay, so I know I had originally said that I wasn't going to be updating this week but one of my best friends is having a bad day. I mean, she got hit with a soccer ball like three times, she got yelled at for getting a low grade in a hard class, and she left her homework at school. It's just been a bad day for her and I want to make her happy. I just hope I don't regret this tomorrow morning.

Also, I'm making a new story! I can't give any details out just yet, but the main characters' names are: Delilah Tru, Hazel Lirn, Ethan Trent, and Andrew Gate. That's all I can really say for now. I've got some great ideas and can't wait to tell you guys more!

Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me! Love ya!

P.S. You-know-who-you-are, don't feel so down! It'll be all right (lol Mrs. G's word!). And if you need to call me at four in the morning to cry to, you got me! Seriously, I'll pick up if you call me. I mean, it'd either be that or throwing my phone across the room. And I kind of like this phone... Lol! But I'm serious. I'm here for you when you need someone to talk to. *cue Count On Me by Bruno Mars!*

P.P.S. OMG! I just realized this the perfect chapter for today. Josie and Tara made up and are best friends again! Wow! The Man Upstairs really knows what he's doing...