Chapter 77: I'll Miss You

Tara's POV

I am checked out of the hospital two days later. I missed Mum's funeral which I'm really mad about, but I know Mum would understand. I'm really going to miss her.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Kayla asks for the tenth time since I've been home. I nod my head and smile at her. It's good to be home with Kayla and Jack. I missed them a lot when I was in America. Jack says he wished he had never left Ireland in the first place.

"So," I say quietly, "when are we going to pick him up?"

Jack and Kayla glance at each other. I look down and start picking at the hem of my shirt. I haven't been allowed to go anywhere but here and church. Leave it up to Jack to make sure I maintain my Catholic faith.

"Um, we were thinking that, maybe, you should stay here whilst we pick him up. That way, you can make sure that the house is ready and dinner is on the stove and..." Kayla says hurriedly. I glare at them but nod my head. I understand why they'd want me as far away from him for as long as possible. It's best not to pull the trigger sooner than it needs to be. And, who knows, maybe everything will be fine between us now that I'm home for the rest of summer break. Maybe we'll be able to reconnect and forgive and forget the past year. I mean, not everything was horrible; just a lot of it...

"Okay," I say softly. I get up and walk over to the kitchen. The cabinets are dusty and the pans need some serious scrubbing, but I grab the cleanest one and turn on the stove. I might as well make his favourite dinner. It is his first time home in a while.

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

I am about to put the chicken in when Niall calls me. Jack and Kayla left about twenty minutes ago, so I'm all alone now.

"Hey," I say tiredly. Niall knows what is going on. He isn't happy about it, but he gets why it has to happen. And, we'll see each other the next time he's in Ireland. I mean, his mum lives about an hour away, so, it's not like I'll never see him again. But, I'll definitely miss him.

"Hi, Tara. How ar-" Niall says but screaming starts coming through his end. I laugh.

"TARA!" Louis shouts after obtaining Niall's phone, "It's been forever since we've talked! Why haven't you called me?"

"Hey, Louis," I say through my giggles. Louis tries to respond but something starts rustling around that muffles his words.

"Sorry, Tara. I'm leaving the bus right now so we can talk without interruptions. Hang on," Niall says breathlessly. I smile ear to ear as I whisk some brownie batter. Talking to Niall always makes me feel a thousand times better.

Niall says hello to some fans and stops to sign some things, but, eventually, he comes back on even more out of breath. I laugh at him as he attempts to say something.

"Niall, honey, breathe. In...out...in...out," I say jokingly.

"Oh, shut up," Niall says, his smile audible through the phone's speaker. "So, Blueberry, how are you? Is everything okay so far? Is he even there yet?"

"I'm fine. Tired, but fine. And, no. He's not here yet, but Jack and Kayla are on there way with him now," I respond. Taking a quick glance at the oven clock, I rush over and pull out the chicken. "I'm actually making his favourite dinner: chicken parmesan, mac and cheese, and brownies with vanilla bean ice cream and whipped cream on the side. I hope he likes it."

"Tara, don't worry. Everything will be fine. At the end of the day, he's your father and he loves you unconditionally. You guys will make up sooner than you think. I promise, Blueberry," Niall consoles. I breathe in and pray that Niall is right about this all.

"You're right," I say.

"Of course I am!" Niall says happily. I laugh at him before continuing.

"He is my father. And, before this past year, I loved him so much I would die for him. But, now, after everything that has happened, I know that I'll still love him, but it'll take some time to love him as much as I used to."

Niall agrees with me. I know what's going to happen: We're gonna fight for a while but, eventually, we'll fall back in place. The cuts and scars will still be there but soon it'll just be another reminder of how strong our love and trust is.

"Hey, Niall?" I say.

"Yeah?"

"He's here."

"I love you, Tara. You will forever be my Blueberry. Don't you forget it," Niall says sweetly. I smile and say goodbye.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes as I say a silent My Guardian Angel. I so hope this ends okay...

"We're home!" Kayla says cheerfully. I release the breath I was holding and turn around to face the front door. My phone buzzes on the countertop, and I look down.

Niall: I miss you already <3

Dad comes into the kitchen. I look up and see the man I thought I'd never have to see again in my life. The man who had beat up my best friend and, now, my boyfriend. The man who had raised me to pick my fights carefully. And, this fight right here? Not one I want to fight.

"Hi, Dad," I whisper. He stares back at me, a smile slowly growing on his face.

"Kitara," he says, "I've missed you so much!"

Niall's POV

I sit in the hotel room, my phone in my hand, and stare out the window at the bus sitting in the parking lot with the boys waiting for me to come back out and tell them how Tara is. But, for right now, I just want to stay in here and enjoy what I've been given. An amazing job; more money than I can spend; the most supportive family in the world; extraordinary best friends; and the most stunningly beautiful and loving girlfriend in the entire universe. How I've been so lucky, I don't know. But, I'm forever grateful to God above. He is truly amazing.

I glance down at my phone, a text coming in. I slide the message away and look at my wallpaper. Tara's pearly white smile greets me as her frozen laugh and adorably scrunched up nose stare back at me. I smile to myself and look at her until the screen turns black.

"I love you, Tara. And, you love me," I say. "And, that's what makes you beautiful."

A/N:

Heylo! I'm so sad! This is really emotional for me. Like, wow. I've finished my very first story! I've never finished a story that wasn't a school assignment. Oh my goodness, here come the waterworks.

Thank you so much for sticking through. I don't think you'll every understand how much it means to me that you've read the entire story. I hope I ended it well. Did you guys think it was a good ending? I know it was kind of a bitter-sweet ending, but it had to happen. And, just think! an epilogue will be coming out shortly after this (I hope!).

I want to send out some Birthday Wishes to the one and only Louis William Tomlinson! You're an amazing person; always giving to charities and always brightening people's lives. The past year has been a rough one, I'll admit, but the overall result has been amazing. I just hope he knows that he is loved unconditionally and will forever be loved until the day he dies.

Anyway, if you liked this story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me. I love you guys so much, and I will miss you whilst I'm away!

P.S. Keep an eye out for the epilogue and my next story!