Chapter 43: Don't Go

Tara's POV

I stare at my phone as realization hits me. Did I just text Hunter? I think. My hands start to shake as I read the name at the top of the screen. My heart stops and the pit of my stomach drops. I think I would've fainted if I didn't see the three dots on his side of the screen.

"Oh my gosh," I say, covering my mouth. "He's typing."

I move to my bed so I'm not sitting on the hard wood. I stare at the three dots as Hunter continues typing. I can just picture his face. A smirk on his thin lips as he types up a snarky response.

Hunter: Babe, I thought you'd never ask. George told me you were in town. How about we meet up at Fish N Stuff? It's got a great dock where we can catch up, Babe.

I want to say no. I want to say that I don't want to date him. I want to say so many things, but I can't. And I never will be able to.

Tara: Okay. Tomorrow at 7

Hunter: You got it, babe ;-)

I let out a frustrated scream. I drop my phone, but it rolls off the bed and lands on the ground. I hear a crack and wince. I bend over the side of the bed and pick up the already broken phone. I turn it carefully in my hands. I see a few new cracks and the home button is almost completely gone now. I sigh and gently place it on the bedside table. I fall on my back and stare at the ceiling.

About ten minutes of laying and thinking, someone knocks on the door. I turn my head to face it, debating whether or not to answer it or stay quiet and hope they go away. No such luck exists when it comes to me because the person just knocks again harder.

"Tara?" Louis says. I sigh.

"Come in, Lou!" I shout back. He wiggles the doorknob.

"I can't. You locked the door."

I groan but get up and look in the dresser mirror. My hair is a bit messy so I throw it in a bun. I look down at my clothes: jeans and a pajama shirt. I walk over to my suitcase and grab a sweatshirt. I see Niall's from the day he and I had a water fight in the bathroom. I should probably give that back, I think sadly. I shove it back and throw on my Uni sweatshirt. I finally walk over to the door to let Louis in.

"Hello!" Louis says, smiling. He walks in and sits down on the bed. I hear him sigh loudly and can feel him staring at my back.

"If Zayn sent you here, then yo-" I start but Louis interrupts me.

"He didn't send me. I've got my own questions," Louis says, crossing his legs and folding his hands on top of them. I take a seat on Niall's bed and slowly nod my head.

"Okay," I reluctantly say. Louis smiles and looks up at the ceiling.

"Are you still seeing Hunter?" Louis says suddenly very serious. I stare at him, not sure if I want to tell him the truth or not. Louis stares back at me, begging me to tell him that his assumptions are wrong. I look away and open my mouth.

"Y-yes," I whisper. Louis exhales loudly and runs his hand through his hair. I shake my head, pinching my eyes closed so no tears fall.

"Why?" Louis asks, his voice cracks in the middle. His green eyes are searching for a good reason, and I have one, but I don't want to tell him what Hunter said.

"I,"  I start, "I love him."

Louis gasps and stands up. He starts to pace the area in front of the two beds. I watch as he bites his fingernail.

"You can't mean that, Tara. Can you?" Louis asks. I nod my head and stare up at him. The second I move my head up, Louis stops in front of me, grabs my hand, and pulls me up. He holds me at arms length away and stares at my eyes. The look on his face kills me because he looks absolutely shattered. It's like he is silently begging me to take it back and tell him the truth. If Louis didn't know Niall then maybe I could tell him about my confused feelings about his best mate. But Louis can't keep a secret. He's not very good at biting his tongue.

"I do, Louis. Hunter is a great guy."

"But you said he is dangerous. Why are you running to him?"

"Hunter isn't dangerous. Not to me. He cares about me and I care about him. It's been hard being away from him for so long. I'm going to see him tomorrow."

Louis lets go of me and looks down. He looks like he's ready to cry. I watch him walk over to the door. His hand touches the doorknob, but he doesn't make a move to open it.

"Just be careful. Okay?"

"Yeah," I say back. Louis opens the door and leaves me to my thoughts. I want to pull Louis back in the room and explain why I'm still with Hunter. But if I tell Louis, he will tell everyone, and then everyone will be in danger. And it'll be all my fault.

THE NEXT DAY --- 6:00PM

I walk over to my suitcase to see what I should wear to meet Hunter. I pull out my dark red summer dress. It is laced at the top and plain on the bottom. I throw it on and walk to the bathroom to straighten my hair and add some lip gloss. I walk back out to my room to find Niall and Liv making out on the bed. I make a disgusted look at Liv, but she just smirks at me. She finds her way to Niall's neck and starts sucking it. I throw up a little in my mouth and quickly grab my heels. I run out the room and crash into Liam. We fall to the ground, me on top and Liam on bottom, laughing at our clumsiness.

I get off Liam, help him up, and brush off my dress. Liam looks down at me and smiles. I can see a hint of sadness in his eyes. He must really miss Danielle, I think.

"You, um, look great. Where are you going?" Liam asks after awkwardly staring at me. I smile and look around.

"I'm actually going on a date," I respond sweetly. I walk over to the couch and sit down. My black heels have a buckle on them, so I start unclasping them. Liam walks over to me and gets down on one knee. He takes my heels and slips them on. I smile, feeling like Cinderella. Liam buckles them and then pats my foot. He stands up and smiles down at me. Again, the sadness is all over his face.

"That's great. Is it with George?" Liam asks, staring down at me. I shake my head slowly.

"Um, no. Actually, it's with Hunter," I say. Liam's mouth drops open. The news takes a few seconds to sink in because Liam doesn't say anything even after Zayn whacks the back of his head. Zayn sits down next to me, looks at my dress and hair, and frowns.

"No. Tara, don't go. Please don't!" Liam says. I shake my head and look down at my lap.

"I'm going. And there is nothing you can do to stop me," I say. Liam sighs loudly

"At least tell me where you're going," Liam says as a compromise. I shake my head, but he puppy-eyes me.

"Fine," I say, finally giving in, "I'm going to someplace called Fish N Stuff."

I feel my phone vibrate in my hand so I look at it. It's from Hunter.

Hunter: Be prepared for a night you'll never forget, Babe.

I stare at my screen. Zayn tries to read the text so I turn it off and stand up. I look at Liam.

"I'll be fine. Just stay away and everything will be all good," I say, patting his shoulder. I give him a quick hug and head to the door. I look back one more time, silently praying that I come home tonight. Zayn looks at me with a worried expression. He mouths something, but I can't read his lips. I just nod my head and slip out the door.

A/N:

Heylo! Short author's note since Wing1t  has a limited time! I got a Niall Horan cut out from my dad as a gift along with a 1D book from my mom. Crazy but awesome!

Anyway, if you like my story, please comment, vote, and/or follow me! Love ya!

P.S. The pic above is the face I imagined Liam and Zayn would have as they watch Tara leave!

P.P.S. I just realized that they look happy. So disregard the last P.S.! That pic was just too cute not to use.