Chapter 1

I stir a bit as I pick up sounds of the birds chirping outside my window. The room feels hotter and beads of sweat begin to form on my forehead. I open my eyes, blinking a few times in the process. I use the back of my hand to wipe the sweat away before getting out of bed. It was summer, and a very hot one indeed.

I'm officially two days away from college. Two days! It all sounds unreal to me. I managed to get good grades, securing my spot at one of the top schools in the West Coast and, best of all, my best friend Marissa will also be joining me. Marissa and I have dreamt about going off to college together for as long as I can remember. We would talk for hours about what it would be like and how we would be roommates and stay in each other's lives forever. That was pretty much our goal, seeing as we've been the best of friends since we were kids.

I guess that's the best part, having someone I already know there with me.

It's nine in the morning on a beautiful Saturday morning. I get out of bed, open up my curtains to let the sunlight in, then pad over to the bathroom. I strip off my pj's and step into the shower. The warm water feels good against my back, calming my body. I'm going to miss home when I leave, especially having my own bathroom. I think that's what I'm going to miss the most, apart from my family, of course.

I use my favorite body wash, applying it to every inch of my body. I also grab some of my scented shampoo and apply it generously to my hair. I begin to detangle the mop on my head, making sure to get all the knots out. Why is it so hard to brush my hair every day?

After a good fifteen minutes, I finally turn off the water and step out. I grab two towels, one for my hair and the other for my body, then start on getting my hair dried. I love waking up and having a shower, even though I'm just heading downstairs for breakfast. On the other hand, my younger sister, Ally, won't shower till the afternoon, whether she's going to school or not.

Finally, after my hair is all done and dried to perfection, I make my way out of the bath area and to my closet, hoping to find something comfy to change into. I scan for a bit and rummage through my clothes before I finally spot a pair of my old yoga pants. It's a miracle that they still fit, though. Next, I open my drawer and grab out a white tank top.

There! That should be comfy enough.

I walk over to my side table and grab my phone off the charger, before making my way downstairs, ready to start my day.