Chapter 66

I stood there contemplating on whether I should stay or just leave. I wanted to stay but he clearly doesn't want me here. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him crying his heart out.

That's it! I couldn't take it. It was breaking my heart to see him this way. I rushed back to him and dropped on my knees, holding him close. He refused to face me at first but after a few minutes he finally gave in and hugged me tightly, crying into my chest.

I could tell he was holding everything in for a long time. This breakdown was long overdue. I sat with him on the floor, not uttering a word. I didn't want him to tell me to leave again, it was better if I just kept quiet and comforted him.

"I don't deserve you, Kaia. I don't" He sobbed, wiping his tears away.

"Hush. I'll always be here for you Ash, no matter what" I replied, meaning every word I said.

It took a while for him to calm down. He eventually stopped crying and just sat there, staring at the mess he made. I tried to clean it up but he didn't want me near any of it. 

"You know, I looked up to Axel. Even though he was an asshole, he was still my big brother" Ash said, staring at the mess on the floor.

"Okay. ..and now you don't look up to him anymore? Or what are you trying to say Ash?" I said, moving damp strands of hair away from his face. I knew he always liked his hair all in one place, not one strand astray.

"Now I fucking hate him! I hate him and my bitch of a father! Then there's mummy dearest who's a fucking snake!" Ash spat.

Okay. Someone definitely pissed him off. I wonder whether it was his mom again or Axel?

"Who did this to you?" I asked softly, not even sure if he would tell me. I ran my hand up and down his arm and he flinched but didn't move away from me. That's a start.

"I got into a fight, Kaia. With Axel. If you think this is bad, you should see what that skinny fuck looks like after a did a number on him. Fucking asshole! He deserves all the damn pain he's in right now. Wherever the fuck he is!".

Why is he cursing so much? This is so unlike him. I'm beginning to think I didn't quite know him at all.

"You should probably stay away. I'll only put you in danger" He said, getting up off the floor. He touched his stomach as he stood up. Looked like it was causing him alot of pain. I tried to help him but he raised his hand up, stopping me.

"I'm sorry but I can't keep up this act anymore. You deserve better and I can't give you better, not even close. My life is fucked up Kaia and I'll only drag you down with me if you stick around. I don't wanna do that to you, you deserve the very best".

"What act, As--"

"This! Me! Talking to you right now, it's not me. I'm a drunk and getting into fights on a regular is what I do for fun. I'm not the good boy you think I am, Kaia. I'm the fucking opposite. I'm messed up, my family is messed up. I just can't play good anymore Kaia!" Ash said, looking down at the ground.

"You don't have to Ash. I will accept you, regardless. You don't have to put up an act!" I said, trying to reassure him I'll still be here.

"Yes I do. You wouldn't talk to me if I didn't act nice around you. I'm a jerk, Kaia. The kind you should steer clear from" He said, heading for the entrance.

"Brother!" Someone called out as Ash was leaving.

I turned and saw Axel, who looked even worse than Ash did. Oh my gosh. Just looking at the two of them hurts.