Chapter 79 - Part I: Kaia's POV

Playlist for this chapter:

Ed Sheeran ~ Dive

Ella Mai ~ Naked

James Bay ~ Let It Go

Noah Kahan x Julia Michaels ~ Hurt Somebody

What was I thinking? Daydreaming about us having the perfect relationship. Now look, it's all blown up in my face. I shouldn't have fallen for him, I shouldn't have let myself. I'm so stupid.

I quickly walk down the stairs, not wanting to run because of my heels. I wipe off a few stray tears that have streamed down my face. I try my best to hold back the tears just because everyone is staring at me. As soon as I reach outside I just know I'm going to break down.

I walk hurriedly to the front door before anyone can stop me. I glance sideways as I walk out and catch sight of Ash's dad, who's looking at me with a concerned face. I give him a small smile before continuing out of the house. The last thing I need is him coming after me, that would be mega embarrassing.

Soon as I reach the bottom of the long driveway, an empty cab passes by so I hail it down. It slowly pulls up across the mansion and I walk briskly and get in, giving the driver the address. He quickly speeds off and I'm glad I'm finally away from this place. There's no looking back now. From here and from Ash.

Ive managed to soak up three paper napkins with my tears. I can't stop myself, everything's just crashing down on me. The over-polite driver tries to comfort me by telling me everything will be okay but I should've known better. I nodded anyway, thanking him for the kind words.

I know it's almost 1am but I'm hoping he'll be awake. I thought about going back to campus but obviously Ash will be around there and he's the last person I want to see right now. It's best I stay away. Out of sight, out of mind. Simple, right?

"Yep, just here please" I say to the driver and he comes to a halt outside my destination.

I pay the fare and exhale loudly before exiting the cab.

"Thank you for driving me safely, kind Sir" I thank the driver before getting off.

"You're most welcome, dear. Try and get some rest" He replies with a tired smile. He must've been driving all night.

As the cab disappears down the empty street, I walk up to the front door and knock, anxiously hoping he's awake.

After a while the lights come on and I hear the door being unlocked from inside.

"Hi" I wave as Todd opens the door and looks at me sleepily.

"Kaia?" He says, rubbing his eyes. Oh god, it's clear that I've disturbed his sleep.

"Oh I'm so sorry! I was hoping you'd be awake. I've disturbed your sleep, I'm sorry. I'm a terrible friend" I ramble, looking down at my feet.

"Ugh, don't be silly. Get inside, it's freezing" Todd says, pulling me by the hand.

I step inside and head straight for the living room. I sit on one of the comfy couches and remove my annoyingly sore heels. Todd locks up the door again then comes to join me, eyeing me suspiciously.