Chapter 21

My heart almost fell down the stairs when I saw him standing there waiting for me.
He looked nice in his jeans and t-shirt. This time he had a jacket on. Oh good. So he's not one of those idiots braving the cold.

"Hi" I said as I reached him.

He gives me a big smile then unlocks his car. He opens the door on the passengers side for me. I get in and all of a sudden I feel nervous.

"You were taking a bit long, I was afraid you weren't going to show" He says, looking right at me. His eyes make me uncomfortable. I keep thinking of our kiss. Oh god I am pathetic!

"Sorry I had to decide between you and someone else. I chose you after first considering my other date today, that's why I took long".

"Um. .. Okay" He replied.

He has a puzzled look on his face. Oh gosh, does he really believe me?

"I'm just joking" I say dryly.

"Really? I thought you were telling the truth. Wow, you really got me. With your serious tone I could have never guessed you were joking" He says in a sarcastic way.

I giggle at his sarcastic reply and he just smiles.

"Keep laughing, Kaia. You look beautiful".

Ohhh my insides are turning into mush.

I look outside and clear my throat. By now my cheeks must be one shade darker than crimson.

"Where are we going?" I ask curiously. I don't recognize where we're headed.

"It's a surprise. Hang on, just a couple more minutes".

We turned right, down a narrow road. Just about 200 metres in is an even smaller turnoff, left off the main road.
Ash parked the car and announced that we have reached our destination.

I look around and can't see anything but trees and bushes. Where on earth are we?

Ash gets out of the car and opens my door. I step out and look around, trying to figure out where this place is. There's no other cars here, looks like it's just us.

Ash holds my hand which makes my heart flutter and leads me further down the path.

"You look nervous Kaia. Don't worry,  you'll love it" He says to me and I relax a little.

When we reach the end of the path, he uses his hands to separate two bushes. He tells me to take a step inside.

I slowly step inside and look around in awe.
It's beautiful. There was a small Creek that flowed in the middle, surrounded by trees that were full of flowers. Every time the wind blew strong enough, the flowers would fall off the trees and into the creek.

There were a few benches under the trees and I think we were headed to one of them.

"Do you like it?" Ash asks me.

"Like it? I love it. This place is so beautiful Ash. How did you know about it?"

Ash smirks at me before leading me to a bench. We take a seat and he turns to face me.

"I used to come here a lot. My brother and I. It was a place we could go to escape our parents. A place where we could just hang out and forget about everything else. Especially during their divorce, that was the hardest time and I'm glad I had someone there for me.