Chapter 3

"I'm glad your letter finally showed up and I'm happy you're going after your dreams, Marrisa," I tell her with a smile on my face.

"So you're not upset?" she asks, looking down.

"I'm a little sad you won't be with me, but I'm happier you'll be doing what you love. And if Stafford has the better program, then go for it," I say to her, reaching out and giving her a big hug.

"Oh! You're such a koala bear, Kaia." Marissa giggles, hugging me tight.

"A cute one, I hope," I respond, and we both laugh.

"Definitely," she answers in-between laughs.

After the laughter dies down, we both lean back to relax.

"Okay! So I kind of have to run to the mall to pick up a few things before heading home to continue packing," Marissa informs me, grabbing her jacket and standing to her feet.

I stand up as well and walk her to the door.

"Hey, come around tomorrow so we can have a proper goodbye, okay?" I ask her as she walks out the door.

"Yep, I'll be here by lunch," she replies. I wave her off as she drives down the street in the direction of the mall.

Just as I'm about to head back inside, Dad's car pulls up. Well, well, well, the happy family's back from 'shopping'.

I walk back inside leaving the front door open. I sit back on the couch and wait for them to walk through the door.

First is my sister Ally, who was holding a few grocery bags. Next was my mom who was holding more bags and what I think are bottles of wine. And, last but not least, was Dad, who shut the door on his way to the living room.

With a big smile on his face, he came and sat beside me on the couch.

"Hello, Kaia," he says, getting out the newspaper and turning straight to the sports section.

"Hi, Dad," I reply, fishing my phone out of my pocket.

I pulled it out and saw there was a text from Marissa. When did this come in? I unlock and click to open her message.

Kaia! I tots forgot to mention while i ws there, a big party is hapnin 2nite at the beach.
U hv to come. Plis!!!

I read her message and sighed. "I'm too busy to attend a party. I have to tell her I can't go," I say to myself, shaking my head at her idea.

"Well, why can't you go?" Dad says with a serious look in his eye.

That's when I realise that I must have said that out loud.

"Um... I don't know, Dad. I just have a lot of stuff left to pack and tomorrow I was planning on not doing anything so I'm trying to finish everything today," I explain to him, trying to justify myself.

"Oh, don't be silly, Kaia. You can get all that packing done now--Ally could help you. Then you two could both go to the party you just mentioned," Dad says, nudging my head and messing up my hair.

"Okay, okay! Sounds like your idea is better. I'll go do that now," I tell him as I stand to go look for Ally.

Gosh, just remembered I hadn't texted Marissa back yet.

****

Ok I'll be there.. actually cud u pik me up? X

*

Sure thing! Alrite ill be by arnd 8pm. Be ready. Nd dress ready...if ya know wat i mean..wink wink lol jst kiddin xx

I scoff at Marissa's message, not bothering to reply. I'm sure she has other plans apart from this party that I'm suddenly going to be a part of.

I walk up the stairs and head down the corridor heading to Ally's room. I knock twice before opening, remembering that she likes her privacy.

"It's open!" she calls out.

I slowly push the door open and step inside her room. Ally is sprawled across her queen size bed, playing with her phone. I take a seat on the swing by the window and turn to face her.

"What's up?" she says, her eyes searching mine, trying to figure out why I'm here.

"Oh, nothing much," I reply, aimlessly looking around her room. "It's just that Marissa kind of invited me to a party on the beach tonight, and I was hoping you would want to come with?" I say to her.

Her mischievous grey eyes lit up at the mention of a party, and I could definitely tell she was interested.

"Oh. My. Gosh. Yes. Yes I would love to go! Wait, does Dad know? You'd have to ask him; after last time I don't think he'd allow me," Ally says, her facial expression changing from happy to sad.

"Don't worry about Dad, it was actually his idea to let you come with me. Crazy, huh?" I say to her, laughing out loud.

"Really crazy," Ally answers, laughing just as loud as I am.

"Okay, but first you have to help me finish packing. Let's go," I say to her.

I stand up from my place on the swing and walk out the door, Ally following behind me, closing the door after her.

Ally and I spend the next three hours trying to fit everything into my suitcases.

Even though it was hard work, we were spending time together. Now that I was going away to college, that's all I wanted right now.

After finally getting everything done, Ally and I lay on the floor and somehow both fall asleep. We were both completely knocked out until Dad came in to wake us.

"Hellooo! Hello? Girls, it's almost six PM. Come down for dinner and get ready for that party," Dad says, tapping my arm.

Ally rubs her eyes and sits up, looking around.

"Wow, I'm tired... but not too tired for that beach party, now let's go," she says as she stands, pulling me up with her.

"Dinner. Now!" Dad says sternly.

And, on that note, we all head downstairs where Mom is standing by the table waiting for us.

"Oh, good! You're both awake, let's all have dinner together," Mom says with a big smile on her face.

Saturday nights were always fun at our house. We would usually order in, or cook, and then all watch a movie or two together. Popcorn included. It was a great way of spending time together and helping us become closer.

As I take my seat next to Ally at the dining table, my mother stands up from her seat.