Chapter 5

As I walk out of the bathroom area, I'm met with a pair of brown eyes staring right at me.

"Hello to you too," I say, walking over to my bed.

Marissa turns to face me, wearing a paisley printed jumpsuit, her black hair done up in two buns and her makeup perfect.

"My, my, Kaia, you look great! And your makeup... is that highlight I see?" Marissa comments, walking over to where I stand.

"Yes, I managed to put on some makeup without anyone's help," I say proudly, earning an eye roll from Marissa.

"Tonight is going to be fun, and I heard others that got into both our schools are going to be there. A chance to make new friends, right?" she says excitedly.

"Yeah, I guess," I reply, slipping on my converse. I wasn't really sociable anyway, so that part doesn't apply to me.

I pack my flip-flops in my bag for later, take one last glance in the mirror, and put on my cover-up. As I'm putting it on, Ally walks in.

"Wow, you guys look great! Kaia, my clothes fit so well," she squeals excitedly, scanning my outfit.

"You have good taste, Ally," Marissa compliments, grinning at her.

"Why, thank you! So do you. Now, shall we leave?" Ally answers back, looking between me and Marissa.

"We shall," I say, walking out of my room.

We all walk downstairs and head for the front door when, all of a sudden, we're stopped by Dad.

"Not so fast, girls. Kaia, your mom and I have something for you," Dad says as Mom walks in from the kitchen with a tiny box in hand.

"Mom, what's this?" I say, slightly puzzled as Mom places the box in my hand.

"Just a little something before you leave, tonight and to college," she says with a bright smile on her face.

"Hurry up, open it!" Ally says, her face even more excited than mine.

I open the little black box and find a set of keys.

"What's this?" I ask, trying to guess.

"The keys to your new car," Mom answers excitedly.

Wow! This is so unreal. Wow, I can't believe it. M-My car? W-What?

I reach out and hug my parents, thanking them both so much.

"I love you guys so much. Thank you. For this. And for everything," I say before turning towards the door and stepping outside.

With one press, the doors quickly unlock. I can't believe it. It's a Rover. And black, too. I just can't.

"Okay! We are definitely taking your car, Kaia," Marissa says walking towards the beauty.

"I call shotgun!" Ally yells, running towards to the front seat.

I get into my car and take in that fresh new car smell. Wow. I can't believe this. I honestly think I don't deserve such an expensive gift.

Marissa punches in the address to the beach on the GPS and I wave Mom and Dad off before heading down the street in the direction of the beach.

****

The drive is about fifteen minutes and, by the time we reach it, it's well past eight.

The place is already starting to fill up. I have to drive around for about five minutes before I can find a good place to park. I manage to find an opening near the corner of the parking lot, beside some benches.

The beach is decorated pretty well. There were beach blankets spread out, beach chairs, and the Sand Bar was well lit with fairy lights hanging around the poles and extending onto the beach.

It looked magical. Everyone who worked at the Sand Bar each had on a garland of colorful flowers around their necks and the girls also had a flower each in their ear.

"Wow! this place looks amazing!" Allyson squeals, taking off her seatbelt and opening the door to step outside.

Marissa gets off as well and starts taking selfies with Ally next to the car.

"Really, Marissa?" I say to her in disbelief.

"What? It's our last party together, gotta capture the moments and memories," she replies, snapping away.

We walk down the steps to the beach and head towards the Sand Bar. Ally immediately recognises some of her friends.

"Oh my gosh, is that Lisa? Kaia, I'll just be over here," she says as she walks over to her friend.

Marissa and I head into the Sand Bar and find a good spot to sit.

"I'll go get us some drinks," she says as she heads in the opposite direction towards the bar.

I see an empty table with two stools by the corner, facing out to sea. As I walk towards it, someone shoves past me and heads for the table I was just eyeing, pulling out the stool and sitting down.

I walk up to the table, not only because he rudely cut past me, but also because I saw the table first and he clearly could see I was heading there.

"Hi, I hate to be as rude as you, but I saw this table first--and I was on my way here, but you rudely pushed past me and claimed the spot for yourself," I snap to the stranger.

He's still facing the other way, his back to me. He looked like he hadn't gotten the memo; he wasn't dressed for a beach party. Instead, he wore black jeans and a black button-up shirt.

"Hey! Can't you hear me? I'm talking to..." and, as I'm trying to finish my sentence, he turns around, stopping me in mid-sentence and my heart.