Chapter 7

Kaia's P.O.V:
His face looked like one of those models in a magazine, or maybe someone on TV.

He must already think I'm a weirdo because I'm staring hopelessly at him, unable to move.

He scans me up and down. I suddenly feel shy, and a little uncomfortable, at the way his green eyes were looking at my body.

He looked at my bodysuit with interested eyes.

His green eyes looked almost jade under these lights. I take a step back from the table just as he opens his mouth to speak.

I turn around and see Marissa heading towards me. The last thing I want is for her to see me with a guy like this, who really isn't my type.

She's so judgmental she might scare him away. I turn back to face him as he speaks.

"Hey, I..." he tries to say, but I leave. I leave the table and walk away.

I spotted Marissa and pulled her arm in the opposite direction. She looks at me with confused eyes, wondering why I'm being like this.

Luckily, there's an empty bench just outside of the Sand Bar, away from the crowd. She gets the hint and walks to the bench a little faster, setting our drinks down on the table.

"What's up with you, Kaia?" Marissa says, her brown eyes searching mine.

I shift a bit in my seat as I decide to tell her about my brief encounter with the perfect stranger.

After I told her the whole story, Marissa was itching to see that guy.

"Oh, Kaia, he doesn't sound like a creep at all. From the way he was dressed, maybe he just had a bad day, but how you're describing him to me--I can tell he's hot," Marissa says, winking at me.

"I guess... but Marissa, he is not my type, not at all. He looks like one of those bad boys, I can tell he is one too since he pushed past me, and I'm not interested in that kind of guy. My parents will freak," I tell her.

"Let's go sit somewhere where he can't see us, Kaia, we so need to check him out," Marissa says, pulling my hand.

We hold our drinks and walk across the sand. It's way past nine now, and the bonfire burns bright. There was a blanket to the left of the bonfire, towards the darker side of the area where the lights didn't go.

"There's a perfect spot!" Marissa says as we make our way over there.

From where we sit on the blanket, we can both perfectly see this stranger still sitting on his own in the corner.

This time, he has a few beers in front of him.

A few girls in bikinis walk up to him and start talking to him. They flip their hair and twirl it, pushing out their chests to make their breasts look bigger.

"A lot of skanks tonight," Marissa says in disgust.

"Guess so," I reply, not taking my eyes off the Sand Bar.

The stranger waves those girls off, putting all of their numbers inside his empty mug of beer. I want to laugh just looking at the expressions on their faces when they were turned down.

A few moments later, I see them talking the same way to a group of guys at the other end of the bar.

"Why don't you go over and talk to him?" Marissa suggests.

"Whoa, no, no, no. I'm not doing any such thing. Nope. I don't wanna get in trouble when his girlfriend shows up or something," I say back.

"Just apologise for earlier," Marissa says, flashing a big smile.

I guess that could be a good excuse to talk to him again. Oh my gosh, why do I want to talk to him again? Why am I still thinking about him?

I stand up from the blanket and wrap my cover-up around me, the cool air whipping past me. I fold my arms and head in the direction of the Sand Bar.

Here goes nothing.