Chapter 35

We sit in silence the entire way back to campus. I didn't know how to feel. I glance over at Ash who has had an angry expression on his face since we left James' apartment.

I'm startled by my phone ringing inside my bag. I rummage through and pull it out. I look at the screen wide-eyed, oh no! Home Phone.

I swipe to answer and hold the phone to my ear.

"Hello, Kaia?!" My mom's voice booms through the phone. She's angry.

I look down and cover my eyes with my hand, I know exactly what this is about.

"Hello mom" I said in a low tone, waiting for her to hit me with her anger.

"Kaia Rose Collins, you've got some explaining to do. You can start with the pictures" Mom said. 

My heart begins to pound as I think of what to say. I hate it when mom is upset or angry with me, I've always tried to do my best and keep her happy. Today I've done the complete opposite.

"Mom. First of all, I'm sorry. What you saw online- that's not me. I mean, it is me but--" 

"Stop! Just tell me what led you do act like that? I'm pretty sure I didn't raise you to be some girl who goes out late at night and gets photographed posing like a wh*re!" Mom spat and I couldn't help the tears that were streaming down my face. 

I swallowed hard, trying to act like I wasn't crying. 

"I'm sorry that I've disappointed you mom. I'm sorry" I said in a serious voice before hanging up on her. 

I drop my phone in my bag and cry into my hands. Ash parks the car just outside my room and turns to face me.

"What's wrong, love?" he asks.

"My..mom, she saw..the pictures" I answered, getting out of the car. 

Ash gets out of the car and races towards me, wrapping me up in his arms. I'm angry with him and I want to push him away but I also want to be held. I don't know how to feel about Ash anymore. He dumps me for Yvonne then runs to my rescue, I don't know how his mind works. 

"Stop crying, in a week this mess will be over and your mom will speak to you again" he said.

"How do you know, Ash? My mom called me a wh*re and she's never uttered a curse in her life" I said, wiping my tears. 

Ash sighs and holds me tighter. 

"I know it's too soon but I'd like it if you came up to my room with me, there's something I've been wanting to tell you" Ash says.

I release myself from his hold and look up at him. He looked sincere and caring, his eyes looked like they were pleading with me. Ash wipes my tears as he waits for my answer. 

I take one last deep breath before responding to him. I hope I'm making the right choice. 

"Okay" I said quietly.

"I'll go with you".

Ash flashes me half a smile before we start walking to his room. I walk closely behind him. When we get to the second floor, Ash walks up to the first door on the right. He unlocks it then steps aside to let me in first.

"You've changed rooms" I said, as I stepped inside. His room was clean with not a single piece of clothing on the floor. His bed was made up neatly and his books were stacked properly on top his study table. On the right, he had a couch, the same brown couch from his old room and a small shelf where he kept all his camera stuff.