Chapter 12

It's a little after midday now, and I'm still half-full from breakfast.

Marissa texted me a while ago and asked me to meet her at a coffee shop just around the corner. The weather is alright today, no sign of rain, so I decide on a dress and pair it with my ankle boots. Yep, that should do it.

While I was putting on my boots, Ally walked into my room.

"Where are you going?" she asks curiously.

"Out for coffee with Marissa, why?" I reply.

"Nothing... I just thought you were going on a date with that guy," she says, looking at me suspiciously.

"Ally. I'm not. Why would I even? No way," I said, shaking my head.

If he thinks he can text me something sweet and expect me to fall for him, he's got another thing coming. I'm not like those other girls. I actually have a brain, a good one, and I'm going to use it.

I didn't do much to my hair today, just brushed and curled it a bit, leaving it to flow down my back. I look in the mirror one last time before grabbing my phone and my bag and heading downstairs.

Ally waves at me from upstairs as she goes back to her bedroom and shuts the door behind her.

I say bye to my mom and dad and let them know I'll be home soon.

**

The drive to the coffee shop is about twenty minutes. Why couldn't she have picked the nearest one to my place? Oh, Marissa!

Thank goodness the traffic isn't so bad today or it would have taken a good forty-five minutes to reach there.

I park opposite The Brew and scan for Marissa. I see her through the large windows, she's talking to someone. A guy.

He hands her a piece of paper and turns to leave. Hmm, I wonder what that's all about.

I get out of the car and cross over. Marissa spots me from her seat and waves at me.

The great smell of coffee beans fills the air as I enter The Brew. I walk over to Marissa and take a seat opposite her.

"So... what's up with that guy you were just talking to?" I ask her.

"Wow, Kaia, you really don't beat around the bush, do you?" Marissa says with a giggle at the end.

"Anyway, it was just this guy who wanted to take me out for dinner. He'll also be going to Stafford U. So I thought, what the heck!" Marissa tells me, shrugging her shoulders.

"But enough about me and my pointless drama, I want to talk about you. Ally told me over text that he gave you his number last night? Did you text him? Did he text back? Did he ask you out? Details, I need details, woman!" Marissa says to me with a serious face.

I could almost laugh at her right now, she's not really the serious type. But I decide to answer her questions anyway.

"Okay. Yes, I texted. He texted back but I fell asleep. Then he texted this morning but I didn't feel the need to reply. The end," I say, looking outside to avoid eye contact with Marissa.

Her eyes go wide in disbelief as I say I didn't text him back.

"Why didn't you text him back?" she asks me in a serious tone.

"I just don't want to get involved in anything that would cause trouble. I hope you and Ally can understand and respect my decision, it's what I want," I say, covering my head with my hands. This was giving me a headache.

**above is a pic of Kaia's outfit today**

We didn't talk about much after I told Marissa to lay off on the whole texting thing. She just sat there on her phone while I finished my drink.

"Hey, I'm gonna head off now," I say to Marissa as I reach for my bag. Marissa looks at me with a frown. "I'm sorry, Kaia. I didn't mean to push you to do something you didn't want to. I'm really sorry," she says, reaching out to hold my hand.

I smile at her and, suddenly, her frown goes away.

"It's alright, I'm fine. I'm not leaving because of that, it's just that I wanted to head home early and spend time there because I'll be leaving tomorrow," I told Marissa.

"Oh, in that case, I'll come with you! My car's still at your place remember?" Marissa says, hopping out of her seat excitedly.

**

Marissa, Ally, and I lay on the floor in my room reading magazines. Marissa finishes doing her nails and rolls over on her back.

"I wonder what tomorrow's gonna be like," she says.

"I think it will be sad, well for me, that is," Ally says.

For me, I don't really know how it's going to turn out.

"I hope my day goes fine," I say to them.

Suddenly Marissa sits up and gasps.

"Ahhh! Oh... my... gosh! No way!"

"What is it, Marissa, use words!" Ally says to her.

But Marissa just continues to stare wide-eyed at her screen.

I pull her phone out of her hand and see what she was looking at.

It was a picture of a guy and a girl. It looked like it was taken at a club or something. She was sitting on his lap and they looked like they were in the middle of a very passionate kiss.

"Um... okay, and why are you so shocked? Do you even know who they are?" I question Marissa, who is clearly still shocked about the picture.

"Kaia, it's okay, you don't have to pretend you're not hurt. I understand. You're shocked too." Marissa says, patting my back and offering me a hug.

"Wait, what the hell?" I say as I push her offer for a hug away.

"How does that picture hurt me, I don't get it. Explain?" I tell her.

Dead serious. What the hell is going on.

"You didn't swipe?" Marissa says.

"No, I did not swipe," I reply, clearly irritated now.

Marissa holds up her phone in front of me and swipes left. The picture on the screen changes. It's now a picture of... oh, god. It's him.

I stare at the picture for a few seconds more. It was a picture of him, this time without the girl.

He was sitting at the bar with a shot in his hand. Looked like he was celebrating something.

He looked happy. His smile was to die for and he was dressed well, this time in a white button-up shirt and dark jeans. Before I let my mind wander and lead me to think of him, I quickly snapped out of it.

"See, Marissa, this is why I didn't want to get involved in the beginning. Guys like this, they always have a girl hanging on their arm. If I didn't act the way I did that night and now, there might be a picture of that girl punching me in the face trending online," I said to Marissa.

"So you're not mad or sad, not even just a bit?" Ally asks me.

"I'm just fine," I reply.

"Good. Because he just texted you," Ally says, handing me my phone.