Chapter 4

"I made dinner a little earlier and extra special, since this will be our last Saturday night family dinner together," Mom says, beaming at me.

I can't help but smile and feel so grateful for all this. So that's what the shopping was for.

"I made all your favorite dishes, Kaia. So let's eat!" Mom says, her eyes watering.

I get out of my chair, walk up to her and wrap my arms around her. "I love you so much, Mom, I'm so grateful for everything you've given me," I tell her, my own eyes watering up as well.

"Okay, okay, cut it out or we will all be hungry and teary eyed. Eat up!" Ally cuts in, signalling for me and Mom to start eating.

On the table were my favorite dishes-- pasta, lasagna, beef curry, and most importantly, extra cheese pizza which I'm pretty sure she ordered in. Anyway, I was content, happy, and soon to be full.

Mom and Dad talked throughout dinner, laughing and sharing stories about their college days. Ally listened wholeheartedly and laughed at all their old stories. I smiled just watching them, knowing I'm going to miss them so bad.

After dinner around seven PM, I help Dad clear up the table while Mom and Ally start on the dishes. After doing the dishes, Dad helps put everything away while Mom has a glass of red wine.

I signal for Ally to head on upstairs and get ready. She quickly runs up the stairs and I follow closely behind.
I pull out my phone and send a quick message to Marissa.

Just had dinner. Are u ready yet? Were gettin dressd up nw x

I walk into my room and head to my closet, trying to decide what to wear. Then my phone beeps, signalling a new text.

Im almost ready js doin makeup..be there earlier..say by 7:30.. xx

I don't text Marissa back; instead, I start rummaging through my clothes looking for something to wear.

Hmm.. it's on the beach so I'm guessing jeans is not an option. Oh, gosh! this is not going anywhere.

"Hey Ally! Could you come here for a sec?" I yell out.

I hear Ally running down the corridor and, in a sec, she's at my door.

"Yeah, what's up?" she says, appearing with only her towel on.

"I have no idea what to wear," I tell her, looking hopelessly at my clothes.

Ally scans my closet and pulls out a black lace-up bodysuit, a pair of denim shorts, and a cover-up.

"Here, wear this, K", she says, putting the clothes in my hands.

"Ally, I think this is your bodysuit and your shorts. Actually, I think there's a lot of your clothes in my closet. How? I don't know. Why? I don't know!" I say to her, walking over to my bed and laying my outfit out.

"Just put it on!" she answers back, throwing her hands up into the air as she walks out of my room.

I close the door and hop into the shower. Luckily I did my hair and shaved this morning, or else I'd be late.

After a short five-minute shower, I step out and start getting dressed. The bodysuit fits comfortably, and the shorts are a little tight, but I bet that's just because of dinner.

I blow dry and style my hair, pulling it up into a neat bun. Loose strands of hair fall perfectly on both sides of my face cupping my cheek. I apply some mascara and a little cherry lipstick. I'm not that big on makeup, like Ally and Marissa are, but tonight I wear a little.

I lightly dab on a little highlight but not too much 'cause I don't want any unwanted attention. Then I'm done.

*** above is a pic of both Kaia's and Marissa's outfits for the beach party***