Chapter 17

I walk over to a bench just outside Block C where my art class will be. The wind blows my hair in all different directions, and I struggle to keep it down. Dammit. I should have just tied my hair up today.

I glance in the direction of Block C and see a friendly face heading towards me. It's Dani, wearing her usual big smile.

"Hey! Did you get to class alright this morning?" Dani asks as she drops her bag and takes a seat beside me.

"Yup, arrived early, too," I replied, still trying to keep my hair under control.

"Is something up? You seem bothered, are you okay?" Dani asks me in the most caring tone. She totally reminds me of Marissa or Ally.

I hesitate a little, not wanting to bring Dani into this drama, but I decide to answer her honestly.

"I ran into this girl—well she ran into me, really, at the café, and she told me to stay away from Ash. Threatened me, actually."

Dani's eyes went wide at the mention of a threat.

"Oh my gosh, Kaia. Wait, was she his girl or something? Or maybe she's been dumped by him and can't get over it," Dani says.

I just shrug, I don't really know.

Dani stands up and puts her backpack on. She sighs, then looks at me with a worried face.

"You've got to talk to Ash. Find out the truth. Or she's just gonna keep messing with you."

"You're right," I admit. "I'll try and talk to him."

Dani walks off in the other direction of Block C.

"Got to go, see you," she says before heading to class.

I glance at my watch. It's now ten minutes till two. I stand and make my way to my art class.

Ugh, I hope the day ends fast.

***

At last, my first day was over. Two classes, but they were tiring.

I rushed out of the room and onto the walkway back to the dorms.

I wrapped my arms around me as the wind gushed past. My hair blew everywhere, including my mouth.

As I approached the stairs I could see three motorcycles in the parking lot. I thought one of them could belong to Elena, but I couldn't see anyone standing near it, so I continued up the stairs.

By the time I reached the second floor, I was exhausted. There was an ache in my knees which reminded me that I needed to work out more.

As I got closer to my door I could hear people arguing. I stopped and tried to hear what they were saying, but I couldn't make out anything as their voices were muffled.

I pulled out my key from my bag and, just as I was about to open the door, Ash's door flung open.

First to walk out was the same girl that threatened me earlier today. Looks like she had traded her coat for a leather jacket.

She doesn't say anything to me, she just smiles and walks down the hallway like a psycho. I don't think she even goes to school here.

I opened my door and quickly got inside. Just before I closed it, I looked into Ash's room. He was talking in hushed tones to a big scary-looking guy. They both turned and looked in my direction, so I shut my door and locked it.

I take off my boots and put my bag down before walking to the window.

I look at where the bikes were parked and I see that girl talking to Elena. It seems like she's angry with her as she pushes Elena's shoulder back before getting on a bike and leaving.

Elena rubs her shoulder and heads towards the stairs. She must be coming up to see Ash.

I stay by the window for a few minutes, wondering when Dani will finish class.
Next thing I know, I'm startled by a knock at the door.