Chapter 14

The drive to WCU wasn't that bad. For the first hour I was thinking of home. How Mom and Dad cried as they said goodbye, and how Ally promised she would text me every day.

I will miss my parents and my sister. I truly will.

Marissa called me this morning just before I left. She was also getting ready to leave; however, her parents were accompanying her to Stafford. Probably just to get her settled in, seeing as she's the only child. I'll miss her too.

*

It's just after nine AM as I reach the road to WCU. There are cars everywhere; the place is packed. I had to park all the way at the back, then walk back to the front of the school to wait for the tour of where our classes will be and where I'd be staying.

After handing out a map of the school to all of us, the tour guide started his tour. He had on white shorts and a white polo shirt that had the WCU logo on it.

Guess this guy has a lot of school pride. But why does he look like he's forty?

I almost jump as I hear someone laugh out loud behind me. I turn around to see a girl, about my height, laughing with her head tilted back and her eyes closed.

She has brown curly hair and looks about my age as well. She's dressed in jeans and a simple tank top with a peace sign on it.

"Are you always this funny?" she asked me once she was done laughing.

"I try to be," I reply.

"I'm Dani," the curly-haired girl says with a big smile, extending her hand for a handshake.

"Kaia," I say, shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Kaia, I hope we're close. You're funny, I can tell we'll get along just fine," Dani says.

"Okay, students, on your class schedules you'll find the class, time, who'll be teaching the class, and also where it's located. There are six blocks, so that's Block A-F. Follow your map and you won't get lost tomorrow. If you need any help, just ask. Now, your schedules can be downloaded from the school website. Just type in your name and it should pop up. Okay, that's the end of the tour. Get settled in," the tour guide says before heading back to another lot of students.

There's a lady at the bottom of the stairs sitting inside a booth. She waves us over and asks us to stand in two lines.

"Alright, now you'll be collecting your room numbers and keys from me. Lose your key and you will be fined. Replacements take two weeks, so make a friend or be prepared to sleep outside," the lady says.

Her hair is blonde with some grey in it, she wears thick framed glasses with a chain attached to it, and from her floral dress and cardigan and how slow she's walking, I think she's about fifty years old.

Not sure why she dresses like my Nan, though.

Dani bursts out laughing from beside me and I realise I had forgotten that she was here.

"You've got to stop making me laugh," Dani says, giggling.

"Sorry, I didn't know I said that out loud," I replied, which made her laugh even more.

"Alright, you two, come on. I haven't got all day," the lady says, calling us over to her booth.

Her English accent isn't quite strong, but it's there. Makes me wonder how long she's been here.

"Name, please," she says, staring at the computer screen.

"Kaia Collins," I say loud and clear so I don't have to repeat myself. After a few seconds and a few strokes of the keyboard, it looks like she finally has my number.

"Okay, Miss Kaia, you're on the second floor, room number twenty-seven," the lady says before handing me a piece of paper with my floor and number on it and my key. I thanked her and slowly walked away from the booth.

I said bye to Dani and walked to the other end of the school where my car was parked.