Chapter 43

We arrived in Eastbrook around 2pm. We could have arrived earlier but the amount of side stops we made along the way made us late. But I'm not complaining, it was fun to spend time with Todd again after a while. Todd dropped me off in front of our house and I was quite nervous to head inside. Along the way from Westcoast, I told Todd everything that has been happening, he listened carefully and he didn't judge me at all. I'm so glad I have such great friends. 

"Are you okay to go in on your own or do you want me by your side?" Todd asked sweetly.

"I'm alright Todd, I can do it" I said, opening the door and stepping out.

"You're brave, Kaia. I envy you" Todd said with a big smile. I got the brave part but I didn't know what he meant by envying me. Maybe there's something that Todd is afraid to do? I have to ask him later.

"Thank you for dropping me here. I appreciate it" I said.

"I'll be here to pick you up next week Sunday. Be ready by 12pm" Todd said.

"Okay, I will. Take care" I said, shutting the door. 

Todd waved goodbye as I walked up our driveway, scared.

After he drove off, I stood at our door, unable to knock. I didn't know what to expect, I was so anxious to see my family but I didn't know how they would react to me being here-- especially after the photos. I pray it goes well. 

I swallowed hard and took a deep breath, after I exhaled I knocked firmly on the door.

Few seconds later the door flung open and I was met with light blonde hair and mischievous grey eyes. 

"Kaia!" she shouted, running into my arms.

"I've missed you so much Kaia" she said, hugging me tight. 

"I've missed you too Ally" I said, stroking her long hair.

She took my bag off me and headed up the stairs. She's probably going to drop it off in my room. Few seconds later she came running down the stairs two at a time.

"Why aren't you at school?" I asked her. 

She looked down at the floor and her eyes started to well up with tears. I tilted her chin up to reveal her sad eyes.

"It's mum, she's sick" Ally said, wiping away a few tears.

"What's wrong with her? Where is she?" I asked impatiently. I had to see her, even if she was angry with me. 

"She's in her room, but Kaia- be careful and don't say too much. She's very sensitive" Ally said before walking into the kitchen.

I walk up the stairs and head to my parents room. I knock on the door and open it slowly. I peer inside and see mum lying in bed with a blanket over her. There were more than 4 different types of pills on her bedside table. Oh my gosh, what happened?

I take a seat beside her and stroke her hair. She's fast asleep. Her eyes had rings around them and she had eye bags under her eyes. Her head was hot, I think she has a fever. My eyes welled up with tears, oh mom if only I knew. I would have come straight away. 

"I'm here now, mom" I said to her, taking her hand in mine.

She slowly opened her eyes and turned to face me. I thought she was still angry with me, I was scared that she would turn away from me, but she didn't. Instead she smiled and opened her arms for a hug.

"Oh mom!" I cried into her chest as I hugged her. 

"I'm so sorry mommy" I said.

"It's alright Kaia. Nothing is your fault dear" mom said, patting my back.

"Whose fault is it then mom? Who made you sick?" I asked impatiently.

Mom just closed her eyes and said she's tired. She told me to find Ally and ask her about it, she would know. 

I kissed her cheek and walked to the door. I turned back to look at her once again, she looked fragile, broken. I didn't like seeing her like this. 

I stepped outside and shut the door slowly without making a sound. 
I headed back downstairs to find Ally. I could hear noises coming from the kitchen so I'm guessing she was there.

"Ally!" I called out soon as I reached the last step.

"In here" she answered. 

I stepped into the kitchen area and took a seat on one of the stools. Ally was making a sandwich.

"Want some?" she asked, making two ham sandwiches.

"Um. . no it's okay, I've eaten" I said.

"Okay, more for me" she said, walking out of the kitchen and into the living room.

"Allyson! I have to talk to you about something" I said to her. 

She was now sitting on the couch with her legs on the coffee table.

"Sure, what about?" she said, taking a bite from her sandwich.

I took a seat beside her and faced her. 

"It's about mom".

Ally stopped chewing and turned to face me, a nervous look playing across her face.

"You'll have to ask mom, I can't say anything if you haven't asked her first" Ally said.

"But I have, and she told me to ask you. She's asleep right now" I said.

Ally looked like she was fighting an internal battle. She took deep breaths and kept looking everywhere else but at me. She finally decided to talk after setting her plate on the coffee table and turning to face me.

"Last time we spoke was about the car, right?" Ally asked, as if unsure herself.

"Yeah, and you wouldn't even speak to me properly. You hung up on me then never took any of my calls again" I said with disappointment. Hope this girl has a very good reason for doing that.

"I'm sorry for doing that but mom didn't want you to find out anything over the phone" Ally said.

"Find out what exactly?" I said impatiently. Can she please stop talking in riddles! 

"Kaia, your car got taken away because dad stopped making payments for it. Mom kept up the payments but dad didn't, and since it was a joint payment-- they had to take it off you because of dad" Ally said and I nod because I already knew all that information from the car company.

"Okay, can you please get to the part where you tell me why dad isn't paying for it? Is he mad at me? and why is his phone always switched off?" I asked.

Ally closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She took my hands in hers and exhaled, looking straight into my eyes. Ally's eyes were always lighter than mine but right now when I'm looking into them, they're dark. Even darker than mine. 

"Kaia, dad stopped making payments because he doesn't live here anymore" Ally said.

My eyes went wide with shock after Ally said that.

"What do you mean?!" I asked impatiently. She better quit playing games and tell me the truth.

"He's gone, Kaia. Dad cheated on mom with someone from work, mom found out and confronted him about it-- he then chose to be with that other woman than us, so he just left. He seized all payments-- your car, this house, everything" Ally said, tears now running down her pretty face. 

I could feel tears running down my face too but I was too shocked about everything. I couldn't believe it. My dad, my role model, the one who taught me the difference between right and wrong. He gave up his family, for someone else.

I wrapped Ally up in a big hug as she cried even louder. I can't imagine how she's managed to look after mom and look after herself after finding out the truth. My heart was so heavy, it hurts so much now. My family is broken. I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face. This was a nightmare, and unfortunately for us- there was no end.

  》》》

Life Of Kaia (Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara