Chapter 16

It's almost noon when I finish setting everything in place. I put all my clothes in the spacious closet. I managed to stack all my shoes inside as well. Ash was right, we did have a good space.

Just as I lay back on my bed someone opens the door. It's Dani.

"You took quite a while," I said to her as she dropped a box on her study table.

"Oh! Yeah, my mom wanted to grab lunch and we kinda lost track of time at the mall," she told me.

"So, what have you and loverboy been up to?" Dani says with a sly look in her eyes.

"Well, I just finished unpacking and organizing my desk. And as for 'loverboy', he went to his room ages ago," I say to Dani.

"Oh, okay, so how long have you guys been going out?" she asks me.

"Oh, no, no. We're not going out. We're not even friends. Just acquaintances, I guess," I say to her, not sure myself.
She looks at me with suspicious eyes, then opens her mouth again to speak.

"I'm guessing you're not interested in him but he's definitely tripping over you."

"Well... I am not interested, you're right about that. But how he feels? I wouldn't know. He's kind of a player, judging by his looks," I say to her.

"You may be right. He does look like one of those bad boys. But he's so sweet, so I really don't know how to judge his character. He seems confusing as f**k," Dani says, then lets out a loud laugh. I end up laughing along with her.

***

I sit at my study table looking at my schedule for tomorrow. Looks like I only have two classes. That sounds great.
It's after nine PM, and Dani's gone to have a shower. I'd showered earlier, so I didn't head out with her.

After going over my schedule, I switch off my lamp and head to bed. Just as I'm drifting off to sleep, I hear the door open and close.

"It's only me, go back to sleep, Kaia," Dani says.

"Okay," I mumble before drifting back to sleep. Can't wait for tomorrow.

*****

Time check: 8:45am.

I'm up, dressed, and ready to head to my first class. The sudden change of the weather--from hot to cold—left me frustrated this morning, because I packed away all my rainy day clothes and hung up the summer ones.

I had to do a last minute outfit change into a pair of blue skinny jeans and a brown lace up cardi, matched with a pair of ankle boots.

Dani's left already, as she had a class at eight AM. She was so nervous about today; I had to let her know she'd be fine. She wasn't the only one that was nervous about today.

I grab my books and shove it into my bag, walking out of the room. I lock the door and head down the hallway.

I pull out my phone to check my schedule for which block my class is in.
Block B. Room 2. Oh, good, that's not too far.

It took me about five minutes to get to Block B because of the rain. If it were sunny I know I could make it in two minutes, tops.

I stepped into Room 2 and took a seat in the front. I never liked sitting at the back. I've always preferred up front where I could listen better and actually learn something.

There were about twelve students right now in this History class. I'm not sure whether this is it or there are others that are just late. Anyway, I didn't bother—I came for class, not to look for people.

I opened my book and began reading from the first page. Suddenly I hear someone clear their throat. It came from near me. I looked to my right and saw this guy turned to face me, he had his hand out, ready for me to shake.

He wore long khaki trousers and a striped sweater. His brown hair was neatly combed and he kind of smelled like coffee. Weird.

"Hello, I'm Todd," he says with a smile.

I extend my hand to shake his.

"Nice to meet you, Todd, I'm Kaia," I say to him with a small smile.

"I like your style," Todd says to me, looking at my outfit.

"Aw, thanks, it's just something I put together at the last minute," I say truthfully.

***
Class went by pretty quickly and I was now walking to grab lunch with Todd. He was a funny guy, even though he looked and dressed like a nerd. He seemed pretty cool to me.

During lunch we talked about the weather, art, and our first history assignment, which was due at the end of the week. Todd left for his next class, which was all the way in Block D. I stayed at the cafe and finished my lunch, since I didn't have another class till two PM.

*

Just as I'm about to leave the café, a girl walks in. She wears a really tiny top and a short skirt with high boots.

If she didn't have a long coat on I would consider her crazy for dressing like that in this kind of weather.

The longer I stare at her, the more her face becomes familiar. It was her. The girl from the picture that Marissa showed me. The one that was sitting on Ash's lap.

Oh my gosh. No offence on how Ash picks 'em, but she looks like a total sl*tbag. I roll my eyes as she pulls out her phone to take selfies while waiting for her order.

I so wanted to text Marissa, but I'm guessing she must be in the middle of a class right now.

Instead, I send a text to Ally asking her how school was going this week. Just as I stand to leave my booth, she was standing in front of me. Sl*tbag.

She looked at me from top to bottom before staring me right in the eyes. Her blue eyes seem to pierce through my soul. Good God.

I look at her with furrowed brows because I have no idea what or why she's here, so I decide to leave.

"Excuse me, but I was just leaving," I say to her politely before attempting to pass her. She's clearly blocking my way now.

She blocks the entire passage with her arms.

"Not so fast, honey," she says to me with a smirk.

"Sorry, but do I know you?" I ask her.

"No, but I know you, and let me make this clear to you: Ash is mine!" she hissed, mere inches from my face.

I look at her with wide eyes. Oh god, this girl thinks that I'm interested in Ash. Or maybe she thinks I'm already with him.

"You can have him, I'm not interested," I say to her before pushing through her arm and heading out the door. Next thing I know, she follows me outside.

"You better keep your hands off of him, and if Elena tells me you guys were seen together after today, I'll come for you, Kaia, and I will make your life hell!" the b***h spits before walking back into the café.

I stand there, trying to process what the hell just happened. I had never had an enemy before, I was always kind to everyone.

This is exactly why I didn't want to be aquainted with Ash. There must be a whole crowd of crazy b**ches like this one out there.