Chapter 45

The days were going pretty fast. We did a lot of things together and I felt like mom was almost back to her old self. Ally went to school on Friday and she's currently in her room with Lisa catching up with her work.

Mom is in the garden doing some light work. I told her not to do anything stressful like digging or pulling weeds, so she's just trimming the hedges.

I'm currently in the kitchen looking through the cupboards for our old flower vase. It was my grandmother's, she gave it to us before she passed. She loved gardening as well, guess mom took after her.

After opening several cupboards, I finally found it collecting dust in the cupboard under the sink. I pull it out and soak it in some soapy water.

I went out to the garden to pick some flowers for the vase. The house was so plain, I felt like adding something new.

While I was snipping some of my favorite light pink roses, a familiar face walked past our house.

"Hey Kaia" He said.

I turned around and was surprised to see who it was.

"Hey Jason. ..How are you?" I asked weirdly.

Mom seemed to notice Jason too so she came over to the driveway.

"Jason! It's been so long dear. How have you been?" Mom says with a smile.

"Hello Mrs. Collins, I've been good. Just spending my week here at home. You're looking good today" Jason said which made mom laugh.

I couldn't help but smile, at least she was laughing.

"Kaia, let me take those flowers inside, you stay and chat with your friend" mom says before taking the roses and heading inside.

"So how's Dani?" Jason asked me.

I stood there weirdly. Well, we weren't exactly friends anyway.

"She's alright, I guess" I said.

Jason looks around before turning to look at me again. He scratches his head and looks nervously at the ground.

"Is there something else?" I asked him, weirded out by why he's talking to me. .

"Yes. There is" He said, exhaling.

"Alright, well what is it?" I asked curiously.

"I just want to apologize" He said.

I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face.  What?

"About us. ..in high school.. how we ended? -I'm sorry about how I treated you afterwards. I was a jerk and I'm sorry for that" Jason said, looking down.

This wasn't what I was expecting him to say. I guess he just wants to apologize. If I did something like that, I would want to be forgiven. Maybe Jason can be forgiven too.

"It's okay, Jason. All in the past" I said with a smile.

He looked at me with a hint of relief in his eyes. I could tell he was sincere. That's new.

"Really, Kaia? You forgive me?" He asked happily.

"Yes! I do! Just one more thing" I said.

"Anything" He replied.

"Don't dump anyone else because of their different tastes. If it's not what you're used to- try to get used to it. That's if you really like that person" I said.