Chapter 44

For the rest of the night, Ally and I lay together on my old bed. I played with her hair while telling her stories about college. She was pleased to know I had made some good friends and wanted to meet Ash once everything between us was sorted. I agreed, but I wasn't even sure when we would fix our problems.

"Does he make you smile?" Ally asked sleepily.

I thought about it for a bit and smiled.

"Yeah sis, he does" I replied.

"Then mend your relationship. I know you can" she said, before rolling over and falling asleep.

I turned on my back, facing straight. I looked up at my star-covered ceiling and thought about Ash. Everything happened so fast, I didn't even get a chance to speak to him before I left. But what would I have said?

I felt my body getting heavy and my eyes were soon closing. It's been a long day. Time for some good night sleep.

***

This feels like the most pleasant sleep I've had since I left. Being back in my old room made me feel safe, and I really needed that right now.

My eyes suddenly open when I hear Ally talking loudly to someone. I wonder who she's talking to?

I hop out of bed and head downstairs. Her voice was getting louder and louder, looks like I'm almost there.

Ally was at the door, about to close it on some lady in a suit.

"What's going on?" I asked from the bottom of the stairs.

They both turned to me at the sound of my voice.

"Good morning, you must be Kaia. Can I please come in?" She says in a sweet tone. I have no idea who this woman is.

"Um. ..sure" I said, leading her to the living room couch.

She sat down on the couch and looked around our house. She then glanced over at me and smiled.

"I don't think you remember me but I was your family lawyer" the woman said to me. She was dressed in a white top, a grey suit-jacket and matching colored pants. Her brown eyes were covered by thick rimmed black glasses and her brown hair was tied into a neat ponytail. She looked familiar, but I couldn't recall where I saw her.

"What are you doing here?" Ally asked her impatiently.

"Well, I'm here to see your mother. I've been calling her phone but it's been switched off" she said, pulling a brown envelope out of her bag.

"Yeah, mom's not feeling well actually" I said.

"Oh, that explains it. Alright then girls, just hand over this envelope to her when she's all better" the woman said with a smile. She stood up and walked to the front door.

"What's in the envelope?" Ally asked curiously.

"I'm sorry dear, but it's confidential" the woman said before stepping out and walking down the driveway to her car.

Ally slammed the door and turned to face me with a puzzled look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Nothing, it's just that. ..don't you find it strange that our 'old' lawyer just decided to pop in-- and this time with something for mom?" she said, looking at the brown envelope in my hands.

Yeah, it kind of does seem strange but it's confidential, so even if we wanted to find out- we can't. 

"We'll have to wait till mom opens it, then she'll let us know what this was all about" I said to Ally, placing the envelope on the coffee table in the living room. 

"Fine" Ally groaned. "I'll wait!".

"Great, now go make me some breakfast please, I'm starving" I said and Ally laughed a very hearty laugh. That's the laugh I've been wanting to hear.

While Ally made something for us to eat, I padded upstairs to check on mom. Ally said she woke up earlier but hadn't had breakfast yet. I hope she's awake now.

I knock on her door and peer inside. 

"Mom" I called out softly.

I heard some shuffling from her bathroom area before she appeared with a smile on her face.

"Good morning, dear" she said, rubbing my arm.

"Mom, how are you feeling today?" I asked her.

She took her morning dose of pills with water before answering me.

"I'm quite well now that you're home. How about we have breakfast together? The 3 of us" she said with a smile.

I was so happy that she was feeling better. I thought about her all night before bed. 

"Yes! That would be great!" I said, linking my arm in hers and walking her down the hallway, to the stairs.

Ally was busy in the kitchen when we walked in. Something smelt delicious as well. 

"Someone's busy this morning" Mom said to Ally.

Ally quickly turned around when she heard mom's soft voice. She came over and gave mom a hug.

"I'm so glad you're well enough to join us for breakfast" she said while hugging mom.

"Hurry up now, don't keep us waiting!" she said, before leading me out to the dining room area.

Ally quickly went back to making breakfast. She had a big smile plastered on her face the entire time she was frying. I hope she's making my favorite pancakes as well. I'd kill for those right now.

Mom and I sat at the table, waiting for Ally and our delicious breakfast. We both had no clue what she was whipping up. Ally was always a good cook so whatever it is, we both knew it would be amazing. 

Not long later, Ally enters the dining room with a jug of fresh orange juice and a plate that had a stack of hot pancakes.

"Oh my gosh! Yes! How did you know? I swear you can read minds Allyson Collins" I said, excited about the yummy pancakes in front of me. 

"No I can't, I just know you so well" Ally said, walking back into the kitchen.

I forked 3 pancakes onto my plate and drizzled some syrup on top. Oh, the smell was divine. I could eat pancakes for the rest of my life and never get tired. 

Mom takes a bite and closed her eyes, savoring the taste. 

"This is really good" she said to me, gesturing to the pancakes.

"Mm hmm" I said, not able to talk with my full mouth. 

Few minutes later Ally strolls in with two more plates, one with bacon and the other with scrambled eggs. Oh my god, this girl is something else. She knows mom too well, too.

"Your favorite, mommy" she says, putting the plate down on the table and taking a seat opposite me.

"You're a gem, Allyson" mom said, pinching Ally's cheek. 

Ally smiled at mom before digging in to the delicious breakfast.

This is how we've always been. Close, happy and content. Now that dad's suddenly out of the picture, I don't know how but I have to help mom and Ally move forward. I swear I'll spend every minute of my week's stay here, just helping pick up the pieces dad shattered when he walked out. 

I look at mom who is obviously heartbroken but trying her best to patch herself up, she's such a strong woman. Then I look at Ally, who loves this family so much she's willing to do anything for mom and I. 

I have to help them, I need to.