Chapter 22

I lay in bed thinking about everything. I don't know how I got here. Maybe Dani helped me. It was all a blur. Last thing I remember was Ash getting arrested. Arrested!! After all that we talked about by the creek. His words seemed so genuine and I believed him. Am I making the wrong decision by trusting him?

Dani's right next to me. She's playing with my hair. She's still so supportive even though I know she's angry with Ash. Guess she trusted him too. I don't say anything I just lay there staring at the ceiling.

I think about the last moments before he got arrested. He looked like he had no idea what was going on. Even when Dani pointed a finger at him, he still looked confused as hell.

Confused as hell.
He would've known the cops were there for him.
He told me he didn't do drugs.

I kept thinking over and over again about the situation. It didn't make sense. At all.
That's it! It doesn't make sense because he was set up! He didn't have drugs on him. Maybe someone planted them in his room while we were out, then tipped the cops off. That has to be it. But how am I going to prove it if it is true? Dani would believe me, I hope.

I sit up and face Dani. She looked worried.

"Thank you for being here Dani. I know you missed your afternoon run because of me. I'm sorry" I say to her, meaning every word.

"It's alright Kaia. You're my friend and I'm here for you. You don't have anyone to be with you right now. And also.... Ash is my friend too, I think, and I want to get to the bottom of this as well.

"Wait! So you believe Ash is innocent?"

I hope she does.

"Yeah girl, I do. I think someone's trying to mess with him".

"That's what I think too. But we don't have any evidence".

"I was here the entire time so if I think of anything suspicious, I'll let you know" Dani says before grabbing her shower gear.

"Okay. Thanks" I say as she leaves the room.

I hope Ash is alright. Hope he gets bailed out soon. I feel so useless right now sitting here doing nothing while he's locked up and being framed.

*** The next morning

As I'm getting ready to leave for class there's a knock on the door.
I wonder who it could be, it's only 7:30am.
Dani's sleeping in because she doesn't have classes till noon. Wish I was her right now.

I open the door and I'm surprised to see Elena standing there in her usual black jacket and jeans. I still don't know which one is the real Elena, this one or the one that dresses up in tight clothes and goes out.

"Hey Kaia, can I come in?" Elena asks.

"Sure" I say, as I step aside to let her in.

Elena takes a seat on a chair by my study table and I sit on my bed.

"How's it going?" She asks me.

"I'm fine.  Just worried about Ash" I say to her. I'm actually considering not going to class and heading to the police station to see him.