he knows my name

It was love at first sight. I didn't know his name, but he knew mine. On the first day, I stood in cement shoes, right in the middle of the hallway after he said my name. It rolled off his tongue so easily, like he had known me for years, when it had only been a day and I barely remembered his face. Everything was a blur except for his perfect white smile. That image stained my brain.

The next day I saw him at school, it happened all over again. Everytime we passed each other in the halls he would greet me with my name. He said it so smoothly, almost as if it were made for him to say. This became a daily ritual for us, but I was always too shy to say something back. I've been thinking for days, what do I say to him? Is a normal greeting too simple? I don't know his name so I can't say that. All I want is to make him mine, if only I had the courage.

I was at first a bit concerned, obviously. Why does this kind stranger have my heart? Not to mention an insanely hot, kind, stranger. I don't give my heart out to just anyone! But somehow he managed to steal it with one sentence. Not a sentence even but a simple greeting. I imagined if it were to escalate. That I finally said hi back, and that would lead on to an actual conversation, then that'd turn to more conversations, then maybe we'd get together, be a couple at school. It'd shock people; kind, out going guy like him with a quiet girl that barely talks above a whisper like me.

We passed by in the halls again. This time while walking my feet managed to trip over themselves beneath me, causing me to fall. I put my hands out, expecting my body to crash into the hard floor of the hallway. But instead I crashed into a body. His body. He held me tight in his arms, his cologne filled my nostrils and I've never felt more blessed. Everything erupted inside my body, like his touch was a strike of lightning. This doesn't feel like it should be happening. It doesn't make sense. Doesn't this stuff only happen in books?

"Hi." He said. I looked up at him, our eyes connected. They're so up close, our faces are only inches apart. I felt his minty breath land on my cheeks. 

My body turned to stone. His bright blue eyes, I'm hypnotized. When I realized I was still in his arms, I screeched and practically ran away. When I sat down in my seat for class, the idiocy of myself showered me. As I repeatedly, with a lot of force, banged my head against the desk, someone walked in, but I'm too busy trying to damage my forehead. I didn't care or pay attention to who it was, not until my forehead collided into a hand instead of the wooden desk. 

"Yknow. You lose brain cells that way." That voice, the first I've ever heard a sentence rather than a greeting from. I didn't want to look up, but my neck forced me to. A quick rush to my cheeks and my nose of hot red fled though, I could tell he noticed. 

He smiled down at me, retreating his hand from my face, although I wanted it to stay. 

"I didn't think you were much of a head banger." Another sentence, I felt my heart speed up. I tried to say something back, but only a whimper came out. 

I told myself, this is your chance! You need to have courage of you will never get him. I stuttered out slowly, "T-Thank you for catching me in the hallway." He smiled so bright and so wide that I swore the entire room lit up. 

"If I didn't know any better, it looked like you had just fallen for me." He said with a wink. I remember my heart skipped a beat, and that left me smiling. 

This was the wonderful story of how I met my husband of 50 years.. Grayson.

——-

Alright. So..

This was an activity where multiple people wrote one story. 

It's very short, sorry.

This story is actually based off of a true story.. all but the ending.. :c

There might be another one like this but.. I don't really know. 

Anyway.. here you go!

-bell :)