43. *Flashback*

Maya's P.O.V

It was 11 a.m. the next day. I was just wandering in the frontyard since I had nothing else to do. Just like always all of Massimo's men were scattered here and there while discreetly keeping their gaze on me. I could sense that they were looking more like guarding me from the distance. Even though I didn't like being watched but after what had happened I was fine with it.

I was humming a tune as I looked at the beautiful flowers around me. I couldn't help but to touch them and smell their earthly fragrance. A smile came up on my lips as I saw a butterfly flying near one of the flowers. I carefully neared the flower without disturbing the Sweet Creature and saw how colourful the butterfly was.

As if sensing my presence the butterfly fluttered her wings and then before I could realise the butterfly flew away from there. I pouted a little since I was actually enjoying seeing that butterfly but now it was gone.

"Looks like your liking in here." I kept looking at those beautiful flowers in front of me and didn't bother to turn around when I heard Massimo's voice.

I just hummed as I continued looking at them. I was aware of his presence behind me. He didn't say anything and just stood there. I finally turned around and saw him looking at the flowers more like one particular flower.

"It's so beautiful right." I said as I saw him looking at those beautiful lavenders.

I furrowed my eyebrows when I realised how he was looking at those flowers. I didn't know if I imagined it but I saw some kind of emotion in his eyes as he eyed those lavenders.

"They were my mamma's favourite." He then said still looking at those lavenders. I saw him smiling a little as if he was thinking back to something. But what's different about his smile was that it wasn't happy but the sad one.

'He must be missing his mom.' I thought as I remembered Martha & Gaby once telling me how she had died when he was only 20. I noticed how his usually brooding dark eyes were now looking so vulnerable.

I didn't know why but my heart broke a little when I saw him like that. He was always so strong around others, someone who never showed weak emotions around others. So it was surprising to see him that way.

"You must really loved her." It was more like a statement. I saw him looking away from the flowers and his eyes fell on me.

"More than anything." I wasn't exactly expecting him to talk about her late mother with me. "She was my everything." I smiled at him. It felt nice as he told me this.

"She must be a really lucky mother then." I tried to not say something that I wasn't supposed to say since I didn't want to look like I was invading.

He didn't say anything but just kept looking at me. I shyly tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as his continues gaze did things to my stupid silly heart.

"She was kind of like you." I was surprised when he said that. I looked at him curiously as if asking him to elaborate what he meant.

He then chuckled all of a sudden. "She used to get curious a lot as well. Just like you." I smiled sheepishly at this.