52. *The Truth*

Massimo's P.O.V

From my peripheral vision, I saw Maya lying on her side. Her face was now facing the ceiling just like me. We laid there in silence. The silence wasn't awkward but the calm, peaceful one.

"So, what do you do?" I heard her asking. I furrowed my eyebrows as her question took me a little off guard.

"You already know, I told you earlier I run some businesses-" Before I could complete my sentence she interrupted me by saying, "Not this."

Turning her head towards me she said, "I meant to ask what exactly do you do." Acting clueless I said, "I don't know what you mean."

"You do know exactly what I mean." She said as she gave me that don't act stupid look.

I sighed as I got up into a sitting position. "What do you do?" As obvious she looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and got into a sitting position as well.

"I just asked you the same. You answer first and besides you already know exactly what I do." She said accusingly.

"Just answer. I promise I will answer as well." I said while looking into her eyes and only then she looked convinced.

"I'm a nurse. I take care of people who either have some disease or some other medical issue." She said nonchalantly.

"So you treat people?" I saw her rolling her eyes as she said, "That's what I just said."

"Why did you choose to become a nurse?" I further asked.

With a huff she replied, "Because I like taking care of people and treat them-"

"I kill people."

As expected she halted mid-sentence as I said that. I said it nonchalantly, as if telling someone that I killed people was a normal thing, which to be honest was a normal thing for me.

She gave me that don't kid me look. "Don't joke like that about killing people."

"I'm not joking. It's the truth. Believe it or not." Again I said it nonchalantly. "I run the underworld or in simple terms mafia."

She leaned against the headboard as she took in what I just said. A humourless chuckle escaped her lips as she said, "It does actually make some sense now."

I didn't say anything. I just let her take in and speak whatever she wanted to say.

"No wonder why you've an army of men surrounding your mansion all armed with guns." She shook her head as she chuckled again. "Not to forget about your connection with Dino Ivanov." Her head then turned towards me all of a sudden.

"Oh my god....y-you kill people. Now I know how you're familiar with Dino because you're just like Dino. You-" Before she could say anything further I stopped her.

"Don't compare me with that cazzo! I'm nothing like him!" She got startled as my voice got heavy. Clenching my jaw, I tried not to lose my calm. "Yes, I kill people but only those who deserve to die or those who mess with me. I don't kill innocent people."