97. *Not Gonna Give Up*

OMNISCIENT

It was Monday morning the next week, three days since Maya had found out about the truth. She was waiting for her two best friends to come join her at the cafeteria of their hospital.

"How's baby mama doing?" Bianca was the first one to join her, following her was Amanda.

Maya didn't have to fake a smile at them and pretend as if everything was fine. She knew that she could be her real self in front of them. Also, even if she did try to lie they would be able to see through her lies very easily.

"Physically I'm as fine as a pregnant woman can be." Maya began to speak. "But mentally, I'm a mess." She ended with a sigh.

Both Bianca and Amanda gave each other look. They knew things had not been easier for their friend lately. Not only had she gotten her heart broken by the man she had fallen in love with, but she was also forced to go through her pregnancy all alone with no father in the picture. Yes, she surely had them and her mother with her but none of them could've supported her and cared for her like a partner would.

"Is everything alright?" This time it was Amanda who asked. "You look more tense than usual."

"He came by my house on Friday." And so without wasting any time Maya recited everything to them, from his arrival to the truth about him not betraying her that day.

"Wow" Bianca was the first one to speak once Maya was done reciting everything to them. "Well...I take my words back, I don't want to castrate him anymore." She continued. "But I do want to punch some sense into his thick skull."

"How did you feel afterwards?" While Bianca said some cuss words, Amanda on the other hand looked at her pregnant friend with worried eyes.

"Like I don't have control over anything in my life." Maya replied.

"Aren't you relieved that he didn't cheat on you, didn't betray you that day?" Asked Amanda.

"I won't lie I'm in a way very relieved...." Maya began to answer. "But then my mind goes back to how I actually believed that he did it, and all the heartbreak that I had to go through afterwards...." She paused before saying. "He wouldn't have come out clean, if it wasn't for the baby."

"Is he still here?" Asked Bianca this time. "Like is he gone or still in The US?"

"I'm not sure." Maya replied looking at the unattended food in front of her. "After he left my apartment on Friday night, I only saw him once when I was coming home on Saturday afternoon after some grocery shopping."

Maya thought back to how she had sensed his presence even before he had made himself known. But she had played it cool and had behaved as if she couldn't have seen him looking at her from a distance. She had looked unfazed even after he had approached her. Massimo had wanted to help her, given how she had been carrying all the stuff by herself. He had wanted to talk to her as well, but then he had to stop himself from saying anything to her, because he had doubted that Maya would've wanted to speak to him. So instead he had just simply offered help to her, which she had obviously declined, not so subtly.

"Did he not approach you then?" Bianca asked.

"Oh he did." Maya exclaimed, finally taking a bite out of her food. "He also offered to help me carry my stuff."