Core Memory¹⁴

Song Minji

"I'm sorry that I dragged you to detention." Minji apologizes after a while of chatting out of boredom.

They've been inside for almost an hour now and the day was almost over. The teacher made Minji write a back to back letter saying I will not talk back to my teacher and will not offer money to solve disagreements. While Gunho was just in detention because he was on her side instead of stopping her.

"I don't really care, as long as I'm with you." he cooes at her with an annoying grin.

Minji had to stop herself from bursting out in laughter because he looked so weird with that facial expression, "Pft. Whatever." She leaned back in her seat, one foot resting in the chair infront of her.

Gunho sat beside the open window, legs in a crossed seated position as he stared outside to the stadium field. Strong wind blowing in his direction, causing his hair to dance along the cold autumn breeze. The orange and yellow leaves on the trees started falling out, covering the streets. He closed his eyes softly, enjoying the refreshing feeling of the cold air.

Minji secretly stared at him, heart rate picking up. Since when was he this attractive?

His sharp jawline and perfect nose made his face features stand out more. She was starting to think how no one ever approached a guy like him when he looked like that. The fact that his personality is good as his looks was even better. How come no one liked him before their arrangement happened.

"Why are you so quiet? What's on your mind?" Gunho asks, she looked at him who was already looking at her. His hair messy from the wind but still looked attractive.

"Its nothing." she plainly replied.

"You think I'm that dense to not notice you're being awfully quiet when you're loud as a speaker?" he chuckles but it didn't seem to cheer her up.

She had to shake off the thought, recalling the new girl named Tina who tried to approach him. Her mood changed.

Tina was pretty, she dressed neatly and looked nice. Minji was just average, sometimes dressing as if she was into girls which she was not.

"Is it because of that new girl?" Gunho stands up, taking a seat beside her.

"No."

"Its obvious that somethings bothering you but I don't want to force you to say it." he pats her back softly.

Minji started fidgeting with her fingers, "My parents, they're fighting nonstop and its just getting on my nerves."

Gunho lets out a small, "Ah." in response. He understood her situation, recalling the time when they arrived at their mansion. Their parents were fighting like there was no tomorrow and having to hear that can really be bothering. "It's alright, they'll stop." he assures her.

"I hope so too." she faked a smile.

Watching as Gunho goes back to where he sat a moment ago. Staring outside the window, enjoying the view.

Minji's eyes brimmed with tears out of frustration and slight anger. Why was she feeling this way?

This whole relationship with Gunho feels so unreal now. Why is she feeling that way when she sees him with another girl thats not her? Why does her chest tighten?

It was her idea after all. Gunho is not her real boyfriend, they only act as a couple. Which means he can still fall for someone which is not her and Minji can do the same. They can choose their partner once their brothers are back together, once their mission has finally succeed.

Thinking about it hurts her.

She had to keep reminding herself that this was only an agreement and everything's fake.

Breaking the third rule was really tempting.

Just then her ttain of thoughts were interrupted when the teacher finally opened the door, "You both can leave now." Minji stood up faster than lightning, handing the teacher the paper she wrote and didn't wait for Gunho.

She goes for her locker, quickly exchanging her books for her journal which she always kept inside of it.

"Minji!" Gunho calls out for her. Before she could even leave, he caught her wrist, "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I just have somewhere to go."

"Are you in a hurry?"

"Kind of."

"Turn around." Gunho orders.

"Gunho I really have to-"

Without finishing her words, Gunho turns her around. Both of his hands on the side of her shoulder. His gaze softened when he sees her face, "Why are you crying?"

Minji instantly wiped the tears off her cheeks with the back of her palms. She didn't even realize that she was already crying.

"Now I'm starting to think it was something else than the fight of your parents." Gunho says with a worried expression.

"I don't want to talk about it.."

"I understand. Do you have to go?"

She shook her head in silence, "Can we just go to our spot?"

"Yeah, ofcourse. Anything you say."

The walk to their spot was silent until they walked past by the teachers gathered up in the middle of the field, students surrounding them. Looks like they're about to announce something.

They decided to stand far back and listen before they leave, "Good day to all of you students. Our school will be having a field trip across the country. We weren't supposed to have one before the vacation breaks but since something came up we had to announce it a little bit late. For anyone interested, it will be on this week's friday. We are acceptinh your payment by tomorrow, and strictly no late payments. Thank you."

A field trip?

page 41