Chapter 17: The Kill (Bury Me)

Elijah POV 

"Does everyone have a bag packed and in the trunk of the car?" Asked Niklaus as we all prepared to go find out our fate. Everyone murmured that they indeed have whilst I sat staring into what minutes before was a roaring fire but was now dampened ashes. "Elijah time to go" said Niklaus in a solemn tone. Perhaps it was for the best, the game will be over and I'm sure that my family will be able to flee if anything was to happen. That way the game would continue and the vampire race would still thrive just with one less sire line. 

It's strange to think that my life lies in the hands of someone who despite enjoying to be a vampire (who is more psychotic than Kol, more calculating and cruel than Niklaus and more tempered than Rebekah and Mikael and yet more calm in stressful situations than myself) is trying to destroy all vampires entirely. 

I stood from my chair placing my empty glass on the table beside the chair I just occupied and started to walk out of the room. Niklaus however must have had over ideas as he moved to block my path. "It's not too late to back out" pointed out Niklaus in a scared tone. 

Niklaus May be a monster and feared by many, he may have repeated hurt this family by daggering us and taking our decades from our lives but he cares for us. Whatever he does it's to protect us from Mikael or any other threat to our survival and life as a family. He, no matter what he's done, couldn't fathom having to lose a sibling. 

"There was no backing out to begin with Niklaus, shall we?" I asked in a calm and collected voice. My brothers eyes shone with fear, fear of losing a sibling of not being able to do anything except run as I burn but he knows it would be a wasted effort on his part as there would be no saving me from the dragons jaws. 

We walked outside side by side and he locked up the house as it was possible that we may not return. I saw Finn, Kol and Rebekah leaning against the car. Finn looked concerned and saddened although he was trying but failing to hide that behind a mask of indifference. Kol looked angry and didn't try to hide it, angry at himself at Eli who knows? Rebekah had tears in her eyes and you could see the sadness, the desperation and the hope very clearly in her eyes. 

"You better stay alive you bloody idiot or I'll have Nik dagger you again" Said Rebekah as she cane forward to hug me. Engulfed in a strong embrace from my youngest sibling and only sister I could feel how desperate she was for me to make it out of this encounter and I too was determined to survive. I nodded my agreement into her shoulder and she pulled back stalraighteneing my suit and we all got into the car. Finn drove, I got into the passenger seat, Kol in the middle in the back with Rebekah to his left and Niklaus to his right. 

We drove in a tense silence. The radio was off and nobody made a sound. Everyone was most likely worrying about how this meeting would go. What I was wondering was why did Eli want to make it so public? Was it to make my demise known? Or was it for less... violent purposes? 

Of course that couldn't be it. Eli has no regard for the existence of vampires. I've already excepted the fact that I wouldn't survive until tomorrow and am in way going to do anything that would save my life but put my family in danger. If may seem like I'm being a martyr and I guess I am but that is what family does, protect each other. 

"Here we are" Said Finn as we pulled up into a parking space outside the Mystic Grill. We all just took a minute to stare at the building which seemed so full of life, not somewhere you go to your doom. I looked at all my siblings with a look that I hope have them hope that I was confident I would be able to come back. 

I knew I wouldn't. 

Instead of speaking I looked away pausing before opening the door and stepping outside. I heard Rebekah protest but heard my brothers calm her down and she, thankfully, stayed in the car. On the walk to the Grill I felt nerves I thought I'd diminished, after going back to sleep after seeing the letter, coming back but I wore my emotionless, nonchalant expression. No need to be nervous I knew what I was walking into. 

Walking inside I scanned the small crowd and didn't see Eli so I made my way to the bar. I ordered a drink and whilst I was waiting for it I felt someone (definately a vampire by how quiet they moved) come up beside me. Turning my head I saw black hair and bright icy blue eyes. 

"Hello Damon" I said to the vampire who I have to admit was extremely irritating. He smirked like he knew something. 

"So Elijah what does the name James mean to you?" He asked and I grew confused by the question. 

"I have met many men named James but non worth mentioning" I Said and he nodded and turned away from me to order a drink just as my own was placed infront of me. I decided to walk away as quickly as possible and take a seat in a booth in a far corner. I sat down facing the door so I could see when Eli walked inside. I looked down at my drink as the nerves continued to grow. Looking up I was surprised to see someone opposite me in the booth wearing a smirk that told of all the psychotic sins he's done. 

The game is coming to a close.