Chapter 18: Hey, Brother

Elijah POV 

We sat in silence for a few moments. Just staring at each other, taking in the changes we've gone through over the last 7 century's apart. I went to speak. 

Before a sound left my mouth he put a finger to his lips as a signal to stay quiet. I obediently followed his order. 

He then pulled out a backpack that had been in the seat next to him. He pulled out a small checked box which he opened to reveal something I would have laughed at if I was with anyone else in this predicament. 

A chessboard and it's pieces. 

He started setting out the pieces like they were halfway through a game. This must be how it ends. 

We started playing him taking the first move and me counter acting. My thoughts during the game is what happens after this game? What if I win and he loses? What if he wins and I lose? Would the rest of the Mikaelson clan flee or would they try stay and fight to avenge my probable death? 

As these thoughts swirled in my mind I played the game of chess that was infront of me. I saw that he's obviously grown in his skill. Before he left our family he was always the best player never losing a game ever and it's clear he's only gotten better. 

I knew I was losing this game. 

And lose I did. He moved one piece and I had no way to move my king. 

It was checkmate. 

He leaned back smirking as I just sat still staring at the chess board. The fate of my family rested in my hands and I'd failed them. I looked up and he was smirking lightly, playfully. 

"Looks like I won" he said with the sameness British accent that me and those in the car also have. 

"It does indeed" I replied and I waited to see what he'd do next. He reached into his bag and he pulled it out. 

A white oak stake with my initials carved into the bottom. 

"I had one for each of you, you know" he said as he twirled the stake around in his hands. "One for Mikael, Finn, Niklaus, Kol, Bekah" He said. He held out his hand, I stated confused, he made a 'gimme' motion. I held out my hand hoping that is what he wanted, it was. 

He turned the stake so the sharp point was facing my palm. He pushed it into my palm and I expected to feel the sizzling burn that cane with being stabbed with white oak. I didn't. I looked away from where the stake was in my hand to see a smirking Eli looking at my face for my reaction. 

He took the stake away from my hand putting it in his bag in a quick movement. "I put the white oak to good use". He gestured to the chessboard and I laughed, it was very typical of him to do. 

I picked up my drink and took a drink and so did Eli. "So what have you been up to these last 700 years Lijah?" He asked and we just talked, catching up, it was refreshing. 

"So now you know what I've been doing, what have you been doing?" I asked Eli as we continued to drink, I should probably tell the others that everything is alright, do it later. 

"Well killing, travelling, sex you know the usual but then 18 years ago I decided to grow up" he told me and I realised that's probably why we hadn't heard even a whisper of his name in that time. "So I had a witch cast a spell on me to make me a baby again and grew up again pretty normally although I only had one friend but that was enough for me. The people that had taken me in knew that I was a vampire wanting to start again so they made sure to feed me blood. When I turned 16 again friend got turned into werewolf blah blah blah some jackass is a kanima blah blah blah Dereks third girlfriend is committing human sacrifices blah blah blah friend gets possessed blah blah blah Scott turns Liam into a werewolf and that brings us to the present" he told me and I was honestly in shock. 

His lack of details doesn't surprise me he's always been like this but it how he genuinely seems saddened by the events that happen and how they affected these young teenagers lives, he's regained some of his humanity I see. 

"Well do you plan on returning to these friends or?" I Said hoping he'd stay with us for at least a short while. 

"Oh well they are in Mystic Falls so no dear twin brother you can't get rid of me that easily" 

A/N ahhh so this has 1k views and I'm so bloody happy!!! Thanks to people who read and vote this is purely amazing and has made my week I'm so happy I couldn't stop smiling!!!!