Chapter One

Sophie's POV

"Morning dad" I yawned walking into the small living room.

"Morning, ready for school?" He asked and I picked up my bag.

"Yep, don't worry about it I will catch the bus so you can go straight to work" I smiled to him and he nodded and I walked out the door.

The cold Detroit air hit my face and blew my hair, as I made my way to the bus stop. It's cold out today, but not too cold, as it was still the end of July, yes it should be warm, but it wasn't, then again it is only half past 8 in the morning, so it should warm up.

4 days left and i'm done, grade 9 will be over which I am so extremely happy about, it completely sucked. Everyone just seemed to not know I existed, or just didn't want to know me.

I'm absolutely ecstatic though because once this week is over, we're done for the summer and I never have to go back to this school again, I'm transferring! I am so hopeful that Lincoln High will be better than the shit hole I am currently at, I hate it so much,honestly.

The bus pulled up as it does everyday, I took my usual spot right up the back corner. People normally just get on the first seat they see, so lucky for me , no one particularly sees me.

I pulled out my mp3 and stuck it on shuffle, my playlists have songs that I just never get tired of. After what felt like a long journey, the bus pulled to a stop and Osborn High faced me. It's just another day closer to being gone Sophie, you've got this!

English first ,followed by maths, and then social studies, wonderful, my absolute favourite! In English i'm by some blonde bitch, who is totally in love with herself, and lucky for me, i'm next to her again in social studies. In maths however, I sit on my own, I love it because it lets me actually focus on what is happening.

Lunch time came around, and I slowly made my way to the school cafeteria where two young rappers, slightly older than me, were spitting some raps. I never get too close to the boys because there is always a large group around them. All I know is that they don't even attend this school, they just sneak in and rap, they've been doing it for a while now and they are amazing, absolutely highlight of my day! They come a few times a month, they really are amazing.

I'm actually going to miss their rapping when I leave here, I hope Lincoln High has something just as entertaining. It takes a lot longer on the bus to get to Lincoln so I really do hope it is worth it and I hope I get a fresh start.

After an extremely long day, I got back on the bus and headed back to my house. I stuck my headphones in and 'i'm bad' came on. I rested my head on the window and waited for my stop.

I arrived home and attempted to be quiet because I already knew my dad would be drinking ,and well, I just knew he was going to be my dad and do what he does. I tried to get to my room quickly but the sound of his voice echoed.

"I know you came in! Come and make me some fucking food and be useful would you" He demanded, I walked in and kept my head down. I searched for some food but there was nothing.

"There's no food in dad" I told him.

"Then go fucking buy some!" He shouted yet again.

"How do you expect me to do that dad? Honestly?" I sighed. He threw a bottle at me, hitting and cutting my arm which I held up in defence.

"Go and be useful, get a job you worthless shit! Get out of my home?" He screamed. He got up, slapped me and pushed me harshly out of the door onto the ground.

I heard the door lock and I just ran away from that house. I ran as fast as my weak, skinny body could possible allow me to. I'm just so glad I have on some comfortable clothing.

I found a bench far enough from my house, I sat down and I just cried. I watched the day turn to night quite quickly and the temperature dropped. I was just far too exhausted to care.

"It's cold out, you're sitting here with no jacket on. You should go home before you get ill" Someone stated from behind me, I jumped and jumped up ready to run. I faced the skinny white boy and he just smirked. "Relax, I'm not like a rapist or murder or something" he put his hands up laughing slightly and I sat back down distancing myself from him. "Right, a quiet one. So why are you outside in the cold practically freezing yourself? It's 8:30 at night" 8:30? Already? Wow.

"My dad, he threw me out" I shrugged.

"Small fight?"

"Not exactly, it wasn't really even a fight at all. He was just pissed off and drinking and he opened the door and pushed me out of it. Why are you out here?" I tried to divert the subject away from me. A cold breeze blew and it was so cold.

"Here, have my jacket" he smiled, took it off ,and handed it to me.

"Oh, no thank you, I'm absolutely fine" I quickly rejected.

"Honestly, i'm warm enough, just take the jacket please" he insisted and put it over my shoulders, I thanked him and pulled it close to me. "Also, to answer your question, I got into a big fight with my mother and her and my younger brother went to my grandmothers"

"Oh I understand , how young is your brother?" I tried not to sound too nosey.

"He's only two. Him and my mother will be out all night" he just shrugged "want to come back mine? I'm not dodgy honestly, it's really cold out and if you need a place to crash you can quite happily" he offered and I just shrugged and he got up and extended his hand for me and helped me up.