Chapter forty-six

Sophie's POV

"Ah, miss Brookes?" The receptionist asked and I nodded. "You are just in time, Jamie woke up about 3 minutes ago" she smiled and let me up to his room.

"Oh my god, Jamie" I cried, I was so happy to see him. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I looked at the weak young lad in front of me.

"Hey" he whispered.

"Jame, gosh, what's the last thing you remember?" I choked.

"You saved my arse" he laughed.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't stop it from happening" I sighed, kneeling down next to his bed.

"Who gives a shit Soph? I'm fucking alive, this is one of the rarest things ever for the dosage I had. How do you know how to control a Heroin overdose?"

"I've seen a few people die from. You are so lucky"

"I know!" He smiled thankfully. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" I shrugged.

"You're lying" he read me like a book.

"No one is after me anymore" I shrugged.

"Soph that's a great thing! So why are you in a shite mood?"

"I went to speak to the guy who was in on it with my dad. I abandoned Marshall, he would never have let me. I just don't want to face him"

"I will always be here for you Soph, if they don't want to speak to you for a bit, i'm here"

"I'm here for you too"

"I figured or else I wouldn't be alive right now" he laughed.

"You will be out pretty quickly you know, you've been steady for a while. They have just been waiting for you to wake up"

"So I could be home for Christmas?"

"Possibly" I nodded, he started to cry and grabbed my hand. He looked down at me with a huge smile.

"Sorry to interrupt" A nurse cleared his throat. "Your brother has been notified you are awake"

"Jame, I will stay another 20 minutes but I think Gaz needs to see you"

"I get it Soph. You know, you are one of the strongest people I have had the pleasure of ever knowing. Speak to Marshall, he loves every bone in your body, he will understand.

Marshall's POV

We walked up to the hospital doors. Gaz was with us when he got the call. He asked me to come with him.

I saw Soph waiting for the bus across the road. She looked deep in thought. She ran this morning without a word.

We walked into the hospital and into Jamie.

He hesitated a little, he knew something but he was debating on telling us. "Marshall, you will find out one way or another, I told her if you all react badly then I still have her back on this one, it was a dick move on her part, but she did it at the end of the day. So yes she said it was sorted and everything is ok again"

"But.. But, if it's good, why is she keeping it from us?"

"She went and spoke to the guy, does that not annoy you? She risked her life"

"Yes, it is scary to think she would danger herself like that. However, she is smart, I know she had guns and it was in a public place, I just wished she let me help he out you know?" I sighed and he nodded.

"Marshall thank you for coming man, thank you for everything you've done for me. Go speak to her"

"Fuck, i'm going to go see if she is still waiting for the bus"

I ran out of the house and up to the bus stop, surly enough, she was there, smoking. "Smoking is slow suicide" I stated and she turned go me, blowing smoke in my face.

"That's the point"

"Soph stop! Tell me the truth! I don't care, Jamie told me! I just need you to be safe, and now you are. That is all I ever wanted princess"

She throw her cigarette end to the floor and hugged me.

"Mom is away for the week, should we head back home?" I asked and she nodded.  I held her hand and she lit up another cigarette as we started to walk.

Tears fell from her piercing blue eyes but no words were said, we just walked.

"Go to sleep princess, you've had a long day" I smiled down at her as she pulled the cover over her.

"Stay?"

"Of course" I whispered stripping down to my boxers. I slid into bed and she cuddled up to me, her body pressed up against me, she was just in a bra and her underwear.

She fell asleep and her breathing could be heard softly in the silent room.

I miss her, I miss my best friend, she's not herself. You can see the fear in her eyes with everything she does, when someone speaks to her, when she is silent, anything.

Even when she is sleeping, you can see the fear on her face, it is worse than before. It has been so long since I lay and properly looked at her. It kills me, why is she still worried now? She should be happy. Everything is ok again, no people after her, no dad to worry about, Jamie is awake, Gaz is ok.. It's good.

--

I must of fell asleep about and hour ago now, but Soph flinched and woke me up. She was sweating and looked scared. I held her close to me trying to sooth her. She looked in pain, she flinched as though someone was attacking her.