Chapter 53 - Follow Me

"It's a boy." Chimney says as he lifts the baby and puts him on the mother's chest.

"He's perfect." the woman whispers as she closes her eyes.

"No! Don't you die on me." Athena shakes her shoulders, but to no avail, "Your baby needs you! Wake up!"

"She's not going to wake up, Athena." Bobby huffs as he stands up, "She lost way too much blood. There was nothing we could have done."

"That poor child." Athena puts her hand on the baby's head as Chimney cuts the umbilical cord.

"We have to get him to the hospital." Chimney says.

"Then go. Take someone with you to watch him." Bobby directs.

"I'll hold him in the ambulance." Addie quietly says, standing behind Bobby.

"Addie, how long have you been there?" Chimney asks, turning around from the car, with the little baby boy in his arms.

"Long enough." Addie steps forward and Chimney gently places the baby in her arms.

"Are you going to be ok?" Chimney asks. Addie just nods her head.

"Go." Bobby nods at them. Chimney and Addie take off towards the ambulance.

"Hen, are you good to stay here by yourself?" Chimney asks, opening the driver's side door of the ambulance.

"I'm not by myself anymore." Hen points as a parade of ambulances and firetrucks make their way down the highway. Chimney nods and jumps into the driver's seat. Addie climbs into the passenger seat next to him, holding the baby's close.

"Is he going to be alright?" Addie looks down at the crying baby.

"He has to be. I can't let him not be." Chimney races off towards the hospital. Not even ten minutes later, they pull into the ambulance bay at the LA Children's Hospital, doctors and nurses were waiting outside.

"What have we got?" a doctor asks as Chimney jumps out of the ambulance. He runs over to the passenger side and opens the door for Addie. She grabs his hand to keep her balance while she holds the baby tightly in her other arm.

"Newborn baby. I delivered him in the middle of the highway. The mother didn't make it." Chimney explains. The doctor reaches out for the baby, but Addie turns away.

"I finally got him to stop crying." Addie looks down at the baby's face.

"Alright. Follow me." the doctor says, rushing into the ER, with Addie and Chimney following close behind.