All Lifeguards - A Loss

Your Pov:

We had just lost a little girl down here at Bondi. I was there that day and was stationed down North. I was one of the lifeguards giving her CPR and couldn't get the scene off my mind.

I was sat in the Tower on the night waiting for Hoppo to come in. I was staring into space. I kept seeing the girls lifeless body. And her parents broken faces when we gave each other worrying looks.

*Flashback to this morning *

It was another busy day on Bondi. Two parents walked up to me and Harris with worried faces, "We can't find our daughter." The Mother stated. I hated it when this happened. I always did. But this time it felt different.

I had a feeling. A feeling I'd never felt before. "Where was she last?" Harris asked, making my head shook up. "We let her go into the shallow part of the water. We took our eyes off her for a second." The Dad input, "And when I looked back up she was gone." Harris nodded, beginning to fumble with his radio.

"Right okay. How old is she? And what does she look like?"

"She's 8 years old." The Dad stated. "She's got dark brown hair, light pail skin and blue eyes. She was also wearing a dark blue swimming costume." Harris nodded. He began to speak into the radio and told the boys to all look out for her.

After fifteen minutes, the Mother was in absolute bits. "Don't worry. We'll find her." If I'm being honest, I was basically lying because I knew we weren't going to find her. I felt it in me. I looked around for a second and saw a girl. She had her one hand in the air waving it around.

The woman next to me looked in my direction and screamed. "My baby! My baby! Oh god! Go and get her, please!" I pulled off my top, already having my bikini bottoms on. I ran into the water not wanting to waste any more time.

By the time I got to her, she was struggling to breathe. I pulled her onto the board as she slipped unconscious. I quickly caught a wave back and radioed for some of the boys to come down.

I placed the oxygen mask over her and began CPR, hearing her mother's faint cries from beside me. I soon heard a buggy arrive and the boys rushed out. "I'll have a go." Jackson stated. I took a step back and radioed the tower for an ambo.

After a while, she still wasn't breathe and her pulse was weak. Once the paramedics arrived they tried a few times but shook their heads. Her mom fell to the floor crying. As for the boys they just stared at the little lifeless girls body.

*End of flashback*

"Y/n? Are you alright?" I looked up to see Deano stood in front of me. I nodded my head with a weak smile. "You sure? Do you wanna talk?" I shook my head. "No thanks Deano."

Hoppo walked in and i barley listened. For numerous reasons. I didn't want to hear him talking about the girls parents and how we tried, best we could. Because I didn't. I could've saved her. If I were quicker. I felt a arm wrap round my shoulder, making me flinch. I looked up to see Jethro.

I pushed his arm off me and excused myself out of the tower. I walked down to the tide and sat down. I brought my legs up to my chin and rested my chin upon my legs. I sighed. I took in the loud crashing of the waves and the whispers of the wind.

"Hey. Y/n?" I turned around to see Maxi. "Oh. Hey Maxi." He took a seat next to me poking the sand with his finger. "Do you wanna talk to me about what happened?" I shook my head softly. He sighed. "Talk to Hoppo about it. He might be able to help." I shook my head again, snapping my head round to face him. "I said I don't want to talk to anyone! I'm fine!" He nodded his head and obviously decided it was best to leave me too it.

Tears slowly encased out of my eyes. God sakes! I wiped the tears away, frustration building up inside of me. I got up from the sand and walked to the tower to collect my things and leave.

I locked my apartment door placing in my ear phones. I checked the time noticing that it was still quite early so I decided to grab some food from the cafe and then head to work. I had been quite early these past few days and noticed my under eyes were getting darker and larger.

Once I got into the Tower, I hung up my bag and sat down. The boys were talking about the bad weather we were due to have.

"You alright y/n?" I hadn't realised I was sat there with my arms crossed and had a big frown plastered across my face. "Always alright me." I smiled. "Have you spoke to Hoppo yet?" Deano asked.

I sighed standing up. "Have any of you spoke to Hoppo yet?" I exclaim looking for any facial expressions. "No. I didn't think so. So, why should I?" Harrison from behind me stood up placing his hand on my shoulder which made me turn around. "You were the one who found her, brought her back to surface and were first to give her CPR." He explained.

"And?! What's your point Harrison?" Jethro then stood up with a small smile, trying to show comfort. "We just think it's taking a toll on you." They could see right through me, couldn't they? They blamed it on me, didn't they? It was obvious.

"I'm sorry, okay? I know it was my fault. I know I should've saved her." I broke out in tears and crumbled to the floor with Harrison hugging me from behind.

I was stationed in Hoppos office waiting for him. He walked in taking off his cap and placing it on the desk. "Y/n." He smiled taking a seat opposite me.  "Are you alright?" I rubbed at my eyes sighing, "The boys have probably told you but - I blame myself for everything that happened the other day. I feel so bad. And I feel as though it's all my fault."

He smiled softly, "Listen. I'm always here if you need to talk. Whenever you feel like this. This job can be very stressful at times. Especially after someone dies. But that's too be expected. You have to try to get on with it, and think of how many other lives your saving, over just that one. You've saved many lives y/n. And yes that one does matter but sometimes you can't get there in time or they've taken in too much water, okay?" I nodded my head. "Come here." He stood up pulling me into a sympathetic hug.