All Lifeguards - Just One Last Time (Pt 3)

Jethros Pov:

I'd do anything to have my job back. After the phone call with Whippet I'm angry... More then angry - I don't understand why he'd do that, sell us? Replace us?

The public loved us and we loved the public.

I told nicole I'd go down to the Council and get our jobs back but I never got a response back.

"Hey. We're from Bondi Beach."

"Ah the new lifeguards?" The woman says, her glasses edging to the bottom of her nose.

Joel sighs shaking his head, "No. We're from the older bunch, the ones before the fire."

"We want our jobs back." I state with a small smile.

She glances at me for a few seconds with a guilty look, "I'm sorry but we can't do that. The new group are due to start there at the end of the week."

I look over towards Joel and all he can do is nod, only this nod is different from the rest his gave me before, this one's a leave it now nod. He's gave up hope hasn't he?

"Maybe try ringing Y/n." He suggests as we walk out the building.

I ring her up and she seems to be busy but still answers, "Y/n."

"Yes?"

"I went to the council to see if we could get our jobs back. We can't."

"Oh Okay." She replies with a dry tone.

"Sorry."

"Oh it's fine, don't worry!" She seems upset but not as upset as she did before. Maybe she's over it?

My phone goes off just as I'm about to shove it in my jacket pocket.

Harries

You heard Y/n is moving to another state?

What?

Sorry Mate .

That hurts a lot. The one person who wanted to help is now leaving, it doesn't surprise me really, I'm just hurt. Maybe... it is time to forget about bondi for good.

Singlets Pov:

Y/n is leaving Bondi to go to another state. I can't say I blame her. There's not much here for any of us now. Bondi was like our home. I ring her up after hearing the news.

"Why are you leaving?"

She laughs weakly, like she's covering something up, "I'm not leaving Trent. I'm running."

"From what?"

"From the truth."

I can hear her voice breaking through the phone, she doesn't want to leave. She wants to stay, but again, what does she have here? What do any of us have here apart from family? Some of us rely on Bondi, as our home, our source of happiness.

"Which is?" I question.

"That we can't go back." She laughs weakly. "It won't ever be the same."

"Of course it won't. Because it's not us Y/n."

I sigh, "Maybe we should throw a goodbye party?"