80.

TWO MONTHS LATER

I felt my chest heaving, there he was. The only boy I wanted right in front of me. He still looked as handsome as he did the day we met. He looked at me with his eyes glowing.
"Don't forgive me. Veronica don't forgive me."

"Don't forgive him, you deserve better." Annie said, making me snap out of my thoughts. I was thinking about the dream I had. I had gotten nightmares ever since we broke up, pure nightmares.

"Veronica, can you go and buy some sugar for me at Walmart?" Mom asked. I tilted my head and looked over at Max that was sitting across from us.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Max asked me. I nodded and slowly got up from my seat. He nodded back and got up as well. We walked out of the house together and into mom's car, Max was always allowed to use mom's car because he was too poor to buy his own.

He drove us there in complete silence, the only thing anyone could hear was the music coming from the car. Max was never this silent, he was always the one who tried making conversation with me or someone else. Today was just different, he was probably not feeling it either.

"We are... here." Max said and got out. I nodded and opened the car door while stepping out. I slammed the door after I left it as I heard the beeping sound that the car made because of Max locking it.

I followed him into Walmart as we started looking for the sugar together. He found it and put it down in our cart.
"Do you want anything else?" He asked me. I shook my head but then decided to change my mind a few seconds later.

"Or actually, I'll be right back." I said and walked away from him. I wanted cookies more than anything, I don't know why I suddenly started craving it. I tried looking for the ones with the rainbow chocolate chips but it didn't look like they were there.

I finally found them on another shelf, I reached out for it but then another hand grabbed it. I looked over at the person as I cleared my throat while looking at him.

"Oh... hey. Uh... you can take the cookies." Mason said and held it out for me. I shook my head and crossed my arms while forcing a smile. It felt like we were strangers once again.

"It's okay, you can keep it." I answered. He shook his head as he insisted on me taking it.

"It's really fine." I told him. He looked down at my cart and put it down there instead. I smiled but quickly stopped, I had to remind myself who the person in front of me was.

"How are things or... how are you?" Mason asked me. I looked down at the ground and shrugged because I didn't know what to answer.

"Good, yeah I'm good." I said. I felt stupid for not asking how he was, so I decided to just do it.

"How are you?" I asked back. I felt my heartbeat going faster and faster, almost like it was going to jump out of my chest.
"Same, same." He answered and looked down at the ground.

I turned around and took my cart with me.
"Veronica?" Mason yelled out. I was scared and nervous at the same time. Please don't say I love you, please.

"Your shoelace." He pointed at my shoes. I looked down and noticed that they had gotten out of the bow I had made with the shoelaces.

"Oh, thanks." I answered. Maybe I wanted him to say that he loved me or still do. Maybe I wanted him to explain everything. Maybe I just wanted him to come back.

I wasn't able to be as angry as I was sad. The anger was filled up with the pain I constantly felt in my chest whenever someone brought his name up. I wish he would walk over to me right now and tell me that whatever Xavier said wasn't true.