Schemer of the Scalding Sands

-3rd POV-

"Man, that was a blast!" Grim grinned, as they were now in the hallway of the dorm.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Goodness though—" Kalim said, looking at the time, "it's already dinnertime."

They heard footsteps and they turned to look, seeing Jamil.

"Kalim! You're finally back. I'd like to review something before dinner. Could you join me for a moment?"

"Sure thing." He nodded, then looked at the girl, "(Y/n), you and Grim can just make yourselves comfortable in the lounge." He smiled.

(Y/n) nodded, "All right." She said.

-----

"I'm famished. What's for dinner tonight?" The golden haired male said.

"Our special training today was rough, huh?" The purple haired male said.

"Ramshackle Dorm gets a cold breeze blowin' in through cracks in the walls. Compared to that, this place is paradise. And Kalim's a real pal. I oughta join Scarabia!" Grim exclaimed.

The girl deadpanned, "I really tried to fix the cracks on the wall. I'm not a constructor..." She mumbled.

Footsteps came up, making everyone look and see Kalim and Jamil, but the girl noticed that Kalim's eyes were hazed, which made her narrow her eyes slightly.

"Is everyone present? The housewarden has an announcement for you before we eat." The black haired male said.

"He does?"

"Oh yeah, Kalim was talkin' about that. He's callin' off the special training and lettin' Scarabia have their winter break. I bet the students will be overjoyed. Too bad I can't keep feasting here over the holidays, though!" The feline said.

"But I cook for you..." The dual haired girl said.

The white haired male let out a small breath, "I decreed that the students of Scarabia would stay in the dorm over winter break for a voluntary six hours of daily studying, if you recall. But I've realized something. That's nowhere near enough!" He exclaimed, shocking everyone.

"Huh?!"

"Kalim? I thought you were going to send the students home." Jamil said.

"That's practically the complete opposite of that you said before!" The tanuki exclaimed.

"A mere six hours a day won't be anywhere near enough to close the gap between our dorm and the others. We must work twice—no, five times as hard as the others to drag ourselves out from dead last in grades! Starting tomorrow, I'm tasking all of you with five hours of study time and four hours of practical training each day." Kalim angrily stated.

"You're giving 'em nine hours of training a day?!"

"There will be a defense magic training drill after dinner. Eat up and ready yourselves!"

"Y-Yes, sir!" The students said.

He then looked at the two, "(Y/n), Grim—since you two are visiting, your participation is mandatory! Is that clear?!"

"Whaaa?! Why do we hafta join in?" Grim exclaimed.

(Y/n) narrowed her eyes, "What's gotten into him?" She muttered, before her eyes dulled, seeing the ink spill over, 'Here we go again.'

-----

"That will be all for today. Tomorrow morning, we march to the eastern oasis, where I will put you through your paces!" Kalim said, before walking away.