The Watchman of the Underworld

-3rd POV-

The Phantoms let out a screech before melting into black ink.

"Did the Phantoms just turn into some kind of...black ink?!" Epel said, shocked.

"It's blot." Vil said, looking at it, "Take care not to touch it. It could contaminate you."

"Quel dommage! Look at the floor where the blot spilled. It's losing its color, and becoming withered and cracked." Rook said, eyes widen.

The four of them looked and saw the ink turn gray, before it looking withered and cracked. Then it disappeared.

"And Idia-senpai and Ortho are trying to let these things loose on the world?" (Y/n) said, looking at them.

"If they succeed, the world will spiral into pure chaos. We must stop them. Even if it means crushing their hopes and dreams in the process." The Pomefiore housewarden said.

"...I suppose so." The hunter said, "Those Phantoms were small, but it's clear many more are waking up. We must get to the bottom level before..." He took note of something, "Hm? It would appear we've reached a dead end."

"You're right. There's a big door at the end of the stairs." The lilac haired male said.

Vil pulled out the map, "According to the map, that door leads to a Phantom containment facility."

The dual haired girl sighed, "I hope they haven't thawed yet..." She said.

Epel smiled at her, grabbing her hand, "Don't you worry! No matter what they throw at us, I'll capture 'em with my signature spell!" He then realized what he did, which made his eyes widen, blush and instantly let go of the girl's hand, "S-Sorry..." He muttered.

The blond male smirked, "My, don't you sound dependable. Well then, shall we head in?" He said, before opening the door.

They all walked in and looked around, seeing some of the metal boxes that held the Phantoms in disarray.

"Well, here we are...the Phantom containment facility."

"Do all of those big metal cubes have Phantoms in them?" Epel said, looking at them.

"They sure do! Pretty neat, huh? The room's packed with Phantoms from all over the world. It's like monster city in here!" A familiar voice said.

Then the door behind the four closed and locked, shocking them.

Epel ran up to it, "The door just shut!" He tried to get it open, "Rrgh...It won't open!"

"We're locked in. I assume this is your doing, Ortho?" Vil said, looking at the hologram of the boy.

"Got it in one! So, how's the dungeoneering going? Having fun? Either way, it's time for your second trial. You have to pass through this containment facility to get down to the next level. But in order to open the door, you'll need the right ID card. And before you even think about it..." He pointed at the card in the male's hand, "That ID card you got from our staff? I've already deregistered it. Using cheat codes your first time through would spoil half the fun, don't you think?"

"How very solicitous of you. I'm touched."

"Which brings me to your mission for this stage—a treasure hunt!" He smiled.

"Is that so?" Rook said.

"The rules are simple. One of the Phantoms in these cages has the ID card that will get you out of here. So just find the Phantom and get the card!"

"You can't be serious. With all these cages, it'll be like looking for a needle in a haystack!" The lilac haired male exclaimed.

He giggled, "I knew you'd say that. Since this is a beginner level, I'll give you a hint. Memorize the following cages." He then pointed at three different ones, "That one there, there, and...there! The ID card is in one of those three. Best of luck, everyone!" He said, before disappearing.