The Lord of Malevolence

-3rd POV-

Alarms went off at Styx as the staff worked.

"We've got an emergency magical disaster alert from LOD Area 9-40, sent at 9:18 p.m.! Alert issuer ID..." The male looked at the user, "Technomantic humanoid Ortho! Hold on...The alert stopped at 9:18 p.m. as well. The transmission has ended."

"Pulling up LOD blot measurement logs. Looks like a large-scale magical disaster has broken out on Sage's Island." A female staff said, pulling up the logs.

"The logs cut off immediately following the outbreak. We can't get a detailed breakdown of the damage."

"Did you say Sage's Island?" A new voice said, as he walked up.

"Director!" The staff instantly tensed up seeing the male, who wore a helmet with blue accents.

"Welcome back to HQ, sir." A male staff said.

"Thanks. Now find out the extent of the damage ASAP." The director said.

They nodded and got to work.

"The number you are trying to reach is not available at this time."

"...Idia's also not answering his phone. It's possible he and Ortho have both been hit by whatever's happening. Put in a call to the Arcane Response Unit's office on Sage's Island." The director said.

"Yes, sir!" The male staff said, as he typed, "...Uh, director?"

"What's wrong?"

"The Arcane Response Unit office isn't answering either..."

"I've tried the local police, fire department, and nearby ships, but all I'm getting is interference. I can't reach any of them!" A different staff said.

"What?!" The boss said.

"Pulling up the most recent aerial images from observation satellites and pulling them on the monitor." A female said, as she pulled up the images, shocking the surrounding staff.

"What in the world? Something is completely covering Sage's Island."

"The satellite's technomantic optical sensor readings suggest it's magic-based energy field." The bespectacled staff said.

"Between the high-density blot readings and the energy field...What if the worst has happened to everyone on the island, including our boys...?"

Someone walked up, "Don't worry. I guarantee they're alive."

They all looked, seeing a female with a helmet with pink accents.

"Chief Engineer!" A female staff said.

"How can you be so sure Idia and Ortho are both alive, chief?" The director said.

"It's my professional opinion based on the data available, director...Boy, how I wish I could say that. Just call it a mother's hunch, honey." The mother of Idia and Ortho said, smiling under her helmet.

"I thought baseless conjecture was an engineer's biggest pet peeve."

"One could also view hunches as spot calculations based on cumulative data from past experiences. Plus, being pessimistic isn't exactly productive. Let's try and keep a positive mindset." She looked at the staff, "You're sure the disaster alert came from Ortho?"

The male staff nodded, "Yes, ma'am. But he's gone completely silent since then."

"So either his gear's damaged, or that energy field can block radio waves...Hmm..." She softly hummed, "Styx launched communications satellites for testing before, correct?"